Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Small SMD Fell Off Motherboard

SeanCasey96

Dec 28, 2018
So I recently bought a used Xbox 360 and was replacing the thermal paste as it's probably never been changed, and while I was handling the logic board, a small SMD (I believe) on the backside of the motherboard fell off. It is part of a large cluster of components on the other side of where the CPU is located. Put the entire machine back together and found no issues so far. Was wondering if this will have any effect at any point and if I should be concerned, and also I'd like to know what exactly it does out of curiosity.

Please see attached picture, I have circled the component.

Thank you ahead of time for any and all help I receive.

Attachments

• motherboard_50.jpg
    motherboard_50.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 7

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Probably best to just leave it alone as you may do more damage than good.
Generally if you follow the attached flowchart, you can't go wrong.

Attachments

• flowchart-for-problem-resolution-1-728.jpg
    flowchart-for-problem-resolution-1-728.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 7

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If it's a capacitor, and if it came from where you think it did, then it's likely to be a decoupling capacitor. These are generally used in abundance, and the loss of one or two is unlikely to have any impact.

There is a recent video of a person removing all the decoupling capacitors from a device to see what happened (spoiler: nothing) that I could point you to if you're interested. That video goes on to show why you should have them, it doesn't suggest they are actually unnecessary.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Right sure that your handling did not bump into and whack / impact it off ?
The whole cluster of bypasses / decouplers are probably of the same values and being monolithic layer ceramic and probably all being 0.1 ufd at 50-100VDC rated.

SeanCasey96

Dec 28, 2018
If it's a capacitor, and if it came from where you think it did, then it's likely to be a decoupling capacitor. These are generally used in abundance, and the loss of one or two is unlikely to have any impact.

There is a recent video of a person removing all the decoupling capacitors from a device to see what happened (spoiler: nothing) that I could point you to if you're interested. That video goes on to show why you should have them, it doesn't suggest they are actually unnecessary.
Yes please forward that video, I'm very interested. Thanks.

SeanCasey96

Dec 28, 2018
Right sure that your handling did not bump into and whack / impact it off ?
The whole cluster of bypasses / decouplers are probably of the same values and being monolithic layer ceramic and probably all being 0.1 ufd at 50-100VDC rated.
Honestly with my own stupidity, that's very possible, although I generally try to be very careful. I find that with aging electronics and solder, things tend to fall off very easily. This has an mfg date of 2010, so I wouldn't be surprised that it fell off, and after seeing the rock hard thermal paste, I'm almost positive age and heat had an influence.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.