Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stair Light/Motion Sensor

Sarah Szabo

Dec 27, 2017
I'm looking to build a simple circuit that triggers a red LED strip to light stairs at night since my mom has trouble going down the stairs.

A PIR sensor such as (https://www.amazon.com/Sensky-Funct...lt+pir+sensor&qid=1551215394&s=gateway&sr=8-6) wouldn't be ideal since it would also light up during the day whenever there was motion.

What component am I looking for? Are there units that are sensitive to ambient light conditions as well as motion conditions that run off of 24V (The voltage I've chosen for the project) and have some kind of timer for staying on for a few seconds to make it down the stairs?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A PIR sensor ... wouldn't be ideal since it would also light up during the day whenever there was motion.
Wouldn't hurt anyway.

You could put the pir sensor in series with a timer similar to this one. The pir sensor and LED lights would then be activated during night hours only.

I'm not aware of an off the shelf timer/sensor combo.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I do not see a daytime/nighttime feature on the first one.
The second one looks promising though. Nice find.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I do not see a daytime/nighttime feature on the first one.
The second one looks promising though. Nice find.

Giveaway is the moon symbol. (Lux) This pot adjusts whether pir works in daytime as well as nightime.
i.e. screw it around to the moon and it only works at night.

Fairly rough adjustments though ( log rather than linear) so have to fiddle a bit.
220-240v ac ones are the same.