Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Really noob power question!!

silence00

Aug 28, 2019
Hi there, I'm trying to light my kitchen with under cabinet colour changing led strip, but I would like to add a PIR sensor so that when you walk in the kitchen the lights automatically slowly fade up, when you leave they fade down.

The problem is with the PIR sensor, it's a 5A PIR, and my strip is 12V 2A, my power supply, which came with the strip is also 12V 2A output, when I have the sensor in line, it doesn't work, however I can still turn the strip on and off with the IR remote, (there is a mini controller with DC connection built in at the start of the strip).

I'm assuming the sensor doesn't work because the power supply isn't rated high enough, would I be right thinking I need a 12v 7a PSU, to power both the strip and sensor?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I'm assuming the sensor doesn't work because the power supply isn't rated high enough, would I be right thinking I need a 12v 7a PSU, to power both the strip and sensor?
No.
The 5 A rating on the sensor is the max. amperage it can control (switch on/off). The sensor by itslef will require only a few mA.
The controller for the LED strip probably outputs not a steady 12 V DC but a PWM signal which will interfere with the operation of the sensor. You will need a steady 12 V supply. The pir sensor alone, however, usually will turon the lights on and off hard, without fading.

Another trick you can try is: put the PIR sensors switched output in line with the LED controller on the mains side.

Show us datasheets of the parts you use and add a schematic of your circut for further analysis.