Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CTX-3030 Metal Detector Battery Fault - BQ20Z70

Barry Klein

Jan 25, 2015
I and another guy have been looking at rebuilding bad battery packs for this metal detector. There is a video on youtube on replacing the cells and good to go. I did that on my old pack and it worked great. The problem is that perhaps there is a new circuit or something as rebuilds are not working as often. It seems the BQ part does not turn on one of the FETS. There is a weak connection to the pack output - the cells read about 7.4V but the pack 6.7V. We can force the FET on and the pack has correct output and the detector works with it. The BQ part is supposed to be programmed with factory optimized firmware. I suspect a new BQ part will not work because it won't be programmed. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Should we just ditch the battery management board and get another from China? The pack uses 18650 cells in a 2P2S arrangement.

Barry Klein

Jan 25, 2015
Berry’s, the other guy tried a replacement part but no change.
There is an exhaustive process to come up with a charge/fuel gauge profile that the factory (Minelab) must do. Hundreds of pages of documentation.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Did you read the post title??
Admittedly I did not, as my phone does not show the full title.
Most people prefer to get the specifics from the post content.

I too replaced the BMS in my XP Deus.

Last edited: