Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PSpice boost converter output voltage problem

orcuns91

Aug 31, 2020
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to evalute the performance of SiC mosfet in boost converter. After importing the model of the device to pspice, I simulated it in a basic boost converter circuit. However, the output voltage of the circuit is higher than the theoretically expected 800 volts. My values are f=50k Hz Duty=0,75 Vin=200 L=150uH C=10uF. Could you tell where the wrong is by looking at the pictures I uploaded? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 5
  • L_current.png
    L_current.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 4
  • output.png
    output.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 4

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Tried it on my simulator and am getting about 740V. What sim are you using?

orcuns91

Aug 31, 2020

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
I use a simulator called SIMETRIX, have done for many years in my professional life and now in retirement. I think it is the best of the bunch.
One thing to remember when doing this sort of simulation is that the inductor will need some dc resistance. I generally include it as a small value resistor either before or after the inductor.
Another is that when using a voltage multiplying circuit such as yours, the input current will increase by the same ratio as the voltage multiplication factor plus a bit to account for losses. Thus if the input is 200V and the output is 800V which is a factor of X4 then with a load of 160R resulting in a current of 5A at the output then, the input current will be 20A.
You don't get something for nothing.

See attachments for my schematic and performance graphs

Attachments

• SCT3022KL SIM.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
  • SCT3022 GRAPH.pdf
    238.7 KB · Views: 5

orcuns91

Aug 31, 2020
I use a simulator called SIMETRIX, have done for many years in my professional life and now in retirement. I think it is the best of the bunch.
One thing to remember when doing this sort of simulation is that the inductor will need some dc resistance. I generally include it as a small value resistor either before or after the inductor.
Another is that when using a voltage multiplying circuit such as yours, the input current will increase by the same ratio as the voltage multiplication factor plus a bit to account for losses. Thus if the input is 200V and the output is 800V which is a factor of X4 then with a load of 160R resulting in a current of 5A at the output then, the input current will be 20A.
You don't get something for nothing.

See attachments for my schematic and performance graphs
Thank you very much for your advice. I will simulate again after reviewing the files.