Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a suitable universal charger for a variety of electronics

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
I resell various electronics that odmt always have the power cords on them so I'm wanting something that'll be able to fit the largest variety of stuff and so far I've only seen universal chargers of a single wattage and from what I understand you need the wattage to be correct but can it be a little under your needs or even a little over? And do any of you know of such a charger that has multiple wattages? I'm dealing with anything from laptops to little DVD players to whatever takes the standard tip sizes

Thanks

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
This is a big ask!.
Is it for testing the item before re-sale?
Or to sell with the item?.

There are plenty of universal power adapters with a range of different DC jacks, but these are typically something like 4.5V to 12V. Maybe 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V.

Then there are typical 19V laptop adapters with different DC jacks.

Most items only take the current required, so a higher current adapter is fine.
The polarity and voltage are important.

If for testing purposes only, a bench power supply with max 30V 5A would be ample.

But I can’t say much more with the info you supplied.

Martin

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Do you want a complicated charger designed for charging a battery that has a certain chemistry?
Or do you want a simple power supply?

They are very different. If you use a power supply instead of a proper charger then you might have an explosion or fire from the battery.
If you use a charger instead of a power supply then the performance of the product might be much less.

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
This is a big ask!.
Is it for testing the item before re-sale?
Or to sell with the item?.

There are plenty of universal power adapters with a range of different DC jacks, but these are typically something like 4.5V to 12V. Maybe 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V.

Then there are typical 19V laptop adapters with different DC jacks.

Most items only take the current required, so a higher current adapter is fine.
The polarity and voltage are important.

If for testing purposes only, a bench power supply with max 30V 5A would be ample.

But I can’t say much more with the info you supplied.

Martin

Thanks, hmm...

Maybe I should ask you guys what to get as I don't understand enough of the how these things work. I don't think I'm "charging batteries" as the audioguru said, for the most part. I guess with laptops you're doing that with your power cord or directly powering the laptop right? So maybe let's remove applications like that out and focus on other electronics without internal batteries. Is there a single solution for most electronics or will I need maybe a few? For example I have one small DVD player that takes 9v/1.5a, a little water pump that takes 12v 350mA, and the other day I saw a little portable HP photo printer in good condition without a cord that probably takes 9v/1.5a 'ish. So for that's the kinda stuff I'm dealing with, and yes this is stuff I'm testing before selling, from thrift shops.

So do I need a universal power cord like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013UJAZY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-sPfFbJBDVRSR

I see that it works by changing the voltage. How does this affect the wattage and amps? I don't want to break anything. Wattage is V * a right? So if a device requires a certain wattage how with a cord like the one above to you get the right amps for the desired wattage? Lol. These are probably some silly questions for you guys and I have to admit I took a electronics course like 20 years ago. Anyway, thanks for your help

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
Do you want a complicated charger designed for charging a battery that has a certain chemistry?
Or do you want a simple power supply?

They are very different. If you use a power supply instead of a proper charger then you might have an explosion or fire from the battery.
If you use a charger instead of a power supply then the performance of the product might be much less.

Ah, I get ya. See my post above. "universal CHARGER" vs "universal POWER SUPPLY" two different things. Quick question: are there universal power cord workout transformers for straight 120v like sound boom boxes and printers with different tips? Something like that could come in handy too.

I wanna take these things along with aa/aaa batteries when I go out shopping /sourcing to test stuff before buying (then having to return half of it).

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The link to the adapter you supplied will be fine for some smaller electronic items to test.
1A max is on the low side. Get one with 3, 4 or 5A.
Watts = V x A.

What you are asking took us guys years to obtain / build / make. We all still have to make or alter what we have, to power something sometimes.

You wont get a single adaptor to do what you want.
Printers are typically 20V+ to 30V+ and have a completely different connector/jack.
It will totally depend on the printer type, make and model.

Laptops are the same as printers with different makes and models having varying input voltage, amperage and type of connector/jack.

You’ll be pretty safe with a phone charger for most smaller items that require USB/5V.

Murphy’s law says you’ll need different ‘jacks/connectors’ than come supplied with a universal adapter.

To answer your question, yes, you’ll need several different types of adaptor.
And several different types of power cables.

C7 is your playstation, radio, boombox etc (figure of 8) connector.

C13 is your computer, monitor, kettle, BENCH POWER SUPPLY etc.

You’ll probably want an inverter too if you drive. This will give you 115/240V
From your cars 12V battery.

As you can see, your question is as long as the answer is wide.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, that is perfect to get you going.
Just be careful of polarity as that unit has no switch to reverse polarity. You may want to cut into the cable and put a connector block or junction box so you can reverse the polarity when needed.

Martin

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
Yes, that is perfect to get you going.
Just be careful of polarity as that unit has no switch to reverse polarity. You may want to cut into the cable and put a connector block or junction box so you can reverse the polarity when needed.

Martin

actually this one is better, has a broader voltage range

https://www.amazon.com/AlloverPower...YB48WZYKF7W&psc=1&refRID=JJJYGVNBGYB48WZYKF7W

Nice tip. so what devices have reverse polarity? I'm guessing most have it one way. and how do you know before you test and possibly kill something ?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It has a slightly higher output voltage but half the amperage @ 1.5A. The other unit was 3A max.
Totally your decision.
Normally you can see a label or marking by the DC input jack. It will have the voltage and something resembling the image below..
upload_2020-8-31_0-23-39.png
Martin

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
okay, I've decided I want an adapter with reverse polarity, that uses the standard barrel fitting. Seen some nice universal adapters but have their proprietary fittings.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Good choice.
Always, always check voltage and polarity. Make sure the adaptor is set correctly too.
Above all, have fun.

Martin

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
On these adjustable universal adapters, you can only adjust the voltage, so how I'm wondering how the amperage is also adjusted. Is it increased with the voltage I presume? If so, how does that work overall with all the wacky v/a combinations you find with different devices i.e. 12v/1a vs 7v/3a etc?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Buying multi-output supplies for use as chargers is going to cost more than the right (type/voltage not necessarily OEM brand) charger for each device, and could cause customer confusion and possibly damage if set wrong.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The OP wants universal power supply, not chargers.
That was made clear early on.

Martin

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
The fastest way to learn is to break down misconceptions. Makes me wonder how many other misconceptions I'm running around this life with.