Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v to 5v cctv

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
Hi there
i have an old cctv system that is 12 v powered from a professional multi 12v power supply
i have just changed over to new wifi type cameras which are 5v powered.
I bought some 12v to 5w 3A (15w) buck convertors and these worked fine on my smaller neos/wyze cameras , but i have just obtained some new imou looc cameras that are also 5v and accordig to the specs 2Amp 6 W, but these will not work with the buck convertors.
The power light comes on but the do not connect, as soon as i plug them back into the usb power supply (5v 1 Amp) they connect.
the run of the old 12v cable is about 20-25m , could this be the cause ? i have connected them through the bucks indoors from an old pc supply and they work fine.
Any ideas please ?
thanks in advance

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Can you check the voltage drop with a DDM?.
What cable are you using for the 12v cams?.

You can adjust some buck/boost converters, so voltage drop could be compensated for.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You can adjust some buck/boost converters, so voltage drop could be compensated for.
Yes, but that will make the voltage at the camera end depend on current consumption. Short current spikes will lead to dips in the supply voltage of the camera.
The imho better option (if physically possible of course) is to place the step down converters in a small box at the camera end of the cable and power the cable as before from 12 V. This setup reduces current through the 12 V cable and ensures a stable 5 V supply at the camera end.

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
Yes, but that will make the voltage at the camera end depend on current consumption. Short current spikes will lead to dips in the supply voltage of the camera.
The imho better option (if physically possible of course) is to place the step down converters in a small box at the camera end of the cable and power the cable as before from 12 V. This setup reduces current through the 12 V cable and ensures a stable 5 V supply at the camera end.
thanks for the reply
I am using the buck convertor at the camera end, i have checked with a multimeter and still have 12v at the camer end of the cable.

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
Can you check the voltage drop with a DDM?.
What cable are you using for the 12v cams?.

Martin
hi thanks for the reply
i am still getting 12v at the camera end of the run
i am afraid its just a cheap ebay type twin cable with power and BNC plug

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The only way to be sure is to check the current requirements of both old and new cameras.
You can check this by putting your multimeter in series with PSU and camera. If you do this indoors at the PSU end, then at the camera location. This test should give you an idea of any losses in the cable.
The worst scenario is changing the cable for a heavier gauge cable.

Martin

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
The only way to be sure is to check the current requirements of both old and new cameras.
You can check this by putting your multimeter in series with PSU and camera. If you do this indoors at the PSU end, then at the camera location. This test should give you an idea of any losses in the cable.
The worst scenario is changing the cable for a heavier gauge cable.

Martin
Thanks
i will give this a try
unfortunately changing the cable is out of the question because it was laid as the house was being built lol
thanks anyway
Dean

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
Hi All. i have just connected the same camera to another point with the same cable and supply but it is a shorter run nearer to the supply, and the camera works perfectly, so it would seem the distance (length of cable) is the problem
My question is, i actually have 2 power leads at the point where i need to put my new camera. Could i connect the two power leads together to still give me my 12 v for my step down convertor that would boost my power enough to work ?
TIA

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You can do that if the power source (to the left, not shown in your schematic) is the same for both cables.. You then effectively connect the cables in parallel.
If the two cables are powered by separate 12 V sources, you should not make such a parallel connection. The two power sources will not be 100 % identical and the one with a few millivolts higher output voltage will force current back into the output of the one with lower output voltage. This can destroy this second power supply (not necessarily, but possibly).
I am using the buck convertor at the camera end, i have checked with a multimeter and still have 12v at the camer end of the cable.
In that case I see no need for parallel cables.

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
Hi
The two separate cables are both running from the supply box shown below.
I have two feeds running side by side that used to feed two separate 12v cameras
the problem seems to be due to the loss of power over the distance of the cable run, that is why i suggested the idea of the two 12v feeds being connected together in parallel before they enter the 12v-5v drop down convertor.

Attachments

• 12v power supply a .png
    12v power supply a .png
    507.2 KB · Views: 2

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Give it a try, but with the 12 V to 5 V converter at the other end, the voltage drop along the cables must be considerable if a single cable doesn't suffice.
Have you checked the output of the converters? Is it 5 V? You may be able to adjust the output voltage if need be.
Anyway, connecting the 2 cables in parallel should at least not create additional issues.

deanofire

Dec 20, 2020
Give it a try, but with the 12 V to 5 V converter at the other end, the voltage drop along the cables must be considerable if a single cable doesn't suffice.
Have you checked the output of the converters? Is it 5 V? You may be able to adjust the output voltage if need be.
Anyway, connecting the 2 cables in parallel should at least not create additional issues.
Thanks
i wll give this a try