Maker Pro
Maker Pro

disassembling Black & Decker cm4000SC

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've been getting into electronics and hardware hacking (arduino/raspberry pie, and some non-computerized stuff, too) and I recently had my coffee maker have a peculiar problem that basically made me want to scrap it. The issue is that when I turn it on, it only uses half the water I put in, I don't know why, but that appears to be the case.

At any rate, I don't want to repair it so much as I want to take it apart. It's a Black & Decker CM4000SC. I looked over some videos on disassambling some electronics like microwaves, CRTs and other larger electronics that had warnings that they might still contain an electrical charge even after being turned off and unplugged still posed a substantial risk of electric shock.

I understand that precautions must be taken, like wearing rubber soled shoes (would Nikes running shoes work?) and wearing rubber gloves (would rubber cleaning gloves work?), but what are the risks in particular with taking apart a coffee maker have?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
There is *very* little stored energy in the electronics of a coffee pot. Even with the heating elemnt running, it draws about 10% of the energy in a microwave oven. Basically, it's a clock-radio - a timer that switches something on and off. There will be some energy in the power supply section, but it usually dissipates in a minute of less. The big question is whether that power supply uses a transformer or capacitors for power line isolation. Photos of the insides ?

ak

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020
There is *very* little stored energy in the electronics of a coffee pot. Even with the heating elemnt running, it draws about 10% of the energy in a microwave oven. Basically, it's a clock-radio - a timer that switches something on and off. There will be some energy in the power supply section, but it usually dissipates in a minute of less. The big question is whether that power supply uses a transformer or capacitors for power line isolation. Photos of the insides ?

ak
I haven't taken it apart yet. I just wanted to know if it is safe or not. I've had it unplugged for almost an entire week now, so I think it's pretty safe.

If that is the case, I'll pop open the back and take a few photos.

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020
Ok I ran into a minor issue. So there are around 5 screws at the bottom. 4 of them are regular philips screws (and I unscrewed them already) while the 5th is a type I have not seen. I think it is a two-hole/snake eye, but I don't have the tool to open it.

I then tried to force the bottom open, I thought I might be able to open it somewhat, but it's being incredibly tough.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Security screw to reduce lawsuits. You might be able to turn it with the tips of small needle-nose pliers.

ak

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020
Ahh, that makes sense. I am not sure if I have those, I might have to pass by the hardware store to pick some up.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Coffee Machines push the ground beans at 200psi, so how much electricity would that take?

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020
Coffee Machines push the ground beans at 200psi, so how much electricity would that take?

No idea, you are dealing with a complete newbie to DIY/scavanger electronics here.

Also while I am at this, I do have a question... when it comes to battery holders, which cable is negative/positive? I have a 2 AA battery holder for a project, the red is attached to the positive side of one, while the black is to the negative.

I know it should be obvious, but I watched videos of people putting together the same DIY projects I am doing and they are using the opposite or have different configurations all the time. I feel like a jackass since I'm so new at this...

Also never order off Aliexpress unless you have spare wires lying around, that's my lesson. I wanted to buy some, but the shops have ceased selling non-essentials until the 11th of the month or so where I live.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
By convention, an AA cell holder has a spring on one end of each cell location. The spring goes to the battery negative terminal, the flat bottom. That should go to the black wire, also by convention. "Convention" is code for not everyone does it this way, but this is the majority method.

ak

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
This is not a grinder.

ak

Maybe I'm talking about a different machine, when it drenches the ground beans in hot water, it has to push the flavoured water out of the coffee, and it takes about 200psi for a strong machine, would be good, because the last drops taste the best. :) How much electricity I spose it depends on how long it holds the pressure on the coffee.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Nope. Standard drip coffeemaker; no pushing or pressing expressed or implied.

ak