Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Double Pole Switch and Zigbee Switch for Heater

biancoluke

Feb 3, 2021
We currently have a water heater directly connected to a double pole Switch.

We require the water heater to be switched by either the double pole switch or from the Zigbee Controller.

The Zigbee Controller 1 Gang has N, L , L1,L2,S1,S2 connections.

How can we connected them in-parellel?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What type/model of Zigbee controller are you using?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I'm afraid you'll have to contact the seller. There is no wiring diagram in the so called "datasheet" and the labeling on the case is not unambiguous to me.

biancoluke

Feb 3, 2021
The seller responded as below:

The smart receiver requires L-N to power on. L is then bridged to L1 and when the receiver gets a signal over Zigbee (via a required hub that connects to WIFI) it switches S1.

You can connect the receiver in parallel.

Will this help?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That helps.
The issue here is that the Zigbee receiver switches only one pole, namely L to S1 (or S2). When you connect it in parallel to the existing manual double pole switch, you bridge one pole of the double pole switch and make it a single pole switch by that. I doubt that is what you want (I can't even tell whether regulations allow this where you live).

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
No.
I understand the "explanation" such that the load has to be connected between L1 and S1. You can verify that by connecting a lamp to these two terminals and have the Zigbee receiver switch on and off. The seller stated that L is connected to L1 which means there is an internal connection. Therefore no need for an external connection.
The seller states also that S1 is switched. Given that L is connected to L1, this must mean that N is switched to S1. Not the best idea to switch N but will work. Usually one switches L and has N connected (wen using single pole switches).
As L is permanently connected to L1, there's no use in switching L with the double pole switch.
The resulting circuit would look like this:
upload_2021-2-3_13-43-59.png

The danger being that the heater's one side is permanently connected to L! I don't know if your local regulations allow such a setup.

As the Zigbee receiver is insulated, you can possibly swap L and N at the input to the receiver:
upload_2021-2-3_13-49-24.png
In this setup L is the switched connection and the heater would be permanently connected to N. Imho much better but the heater is switched single pole only. This setup should be verified by someone familiar with the electric ode where you live.

This drawing is based on assumptions from the meager "explanation" by the seller. You should at the minimum verify the assumption about the switching of N and the connection of L to L1 by the lamp test I described initially.
Better yet have the schematic approved by the seller or an electrician familiar with the electric code where you live.

My sincerest recommendation: Have the installation done by a qualified electrician to be on the safe side.

biancoluke

Feb 3, 2021
Harald,

Thanks for your deep explaination of the correct way.

I will first try simple tests on a small bulb as you suggested and proceed from there.

Thanks for your support!