Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help Replacing A Ceiling Fan with a 2 wall switch to single switch light fixture.

FrankTank

Aug 11, 2015
I have a ceiling fan/light currently that has two wall switches. Power for the light and power for the fan.

I am replacing it with just a single light fixture.....I only am going to need one wall switch now.

What do I need to do with the second/extra wall switch?
What do I need to "Cap-Off" after removing the ceiling fan?

Some guidance please:)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
It all depends on how the fan/light and the wall switches were wired as there are several ways, depending on the original installation.

It appears from your quote you have next to zero knowledge of electrical and even talking you thorough with the benefit of multiple images would be a chore.

For safety, it would be recommended to get a local lecky, more for your visitors and friends rather than just your safety.

FrankTank

Aug 11, 2015
SwitchWiringRemember - Copy.jpg SwitchWiringRemember - Copy.jpg NewSwitchWires - Copy.jpg I think i have it figured out. I labeled the wires with electrical tape before i attempted it.
Red wire is capped off at the ceiling fixture and at the wall switch.
Ran a new ground wire from the new single pole switch to the ground in the wall box.

This look okay?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir FrankTank . . . . .

That old set of switches brittle and egg shell thin cases were in some dismal physical condition, unless you had to mangle them around from their location to remove .

CONFIRMED . . .
You now have the BLACK hot wire coming out from the BLUE wire nuts cluster of wires and will typically go to the BRASS screw terminal on the switch
and exit from the switches SILVER screw terminal, if so constructed / coded .
It continues the wiring circuitry as the BLUE -YELLOW color coded, now switched BLACK hot wire to the light fixture with its other companion straight run WHITE wire neutral connection..
Bare copper wire is ground connection to the switch.

73's de Edd
blue_zig-zags.gif

A recent study has found women who carry a little extra weight, live longer than men who mention it.

Last edited:

FrankTank

Aug 11, 2015
Sir FrankTank . . . . .

That old set of switches brittle and egg shell thin cases were in some dismal physical condition, unless you had to mangle them around from their location to remove .

CONFIRMED . . .
You now have the BLACK hot wire coming out from the BLUE wire nuts cluster of wires and will typically go to the BRASS screw terminal on the switch
and exit from the switches SILVER screw terminal, if so constructed / coded .
It continues the wiring circuitry as the BLUE -YELLOW color coded, now switched BLACK hot wire to the light fixture with its other companion straight run WHITE wire neutral connection..
Bare copper wire is ground connection to the switch.

73's de Edd
blue_zig-zags.gif

A recent study has found women who carry a little extra weight, live longer than men who mention it.

@ 73's de Edd

They were some old switches I didn't mess with em at all. Just cracked and brittle and old i guess.

Both the terminals on the new switch look to be brass. The manufacturer packaging just said on it's diagram that the Top Terminal was the Black/Hot and the Bottom Terminal was Neutral/White . And of course the green ground on opposite side of the bottom. Single Pole switch.

Thanks for confirming I did it right. The previous poster's comment had me really second guessing it.