Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12 Battery charger transformer issue/identification

Fred012

Aug 4, 2021
I have a 12v battery charger that had a capacitor and ac fuse blow. I replaced both on the board put it back together and still no power to the 12vdc board cooling fan, any of the led's or the output to battery leads. The charger does nothing when plugged in to AC power. I was able to track down what i believe to be the issue. After the capacitor that failed it goes to a Transformer where i have 170vdc on the primary side. But 0vdc out of the secondary side. (There is resistance between all secondary windings so there is no open winding). Even with the secondary side isolated from the rest of the circuitry still 0v. I tried to google the id numbers on the transformer to get a ratio but got no where. Maybe someone on here may know how to interprete the numbers on it or advise on what to look at next.
I found the name Doye stamped on the frame of it, also these numbers.

PQ3230 1749
Please see image attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 7

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
More likely to be a switchmode type by the looks of the opto feedback chip centre right.
Cannot say for sure with the limited photo range.
I don't see where you tested the primary offhand.
These transformers rarely fail, so I'd be looking elsewhere in the circuit.
Not an easy task for inexperienced.

Fred012

Aug 4, 2021
More likely to be a switchmode type by the looks of the opto feedback chip centre right.
Cannot say for sure with the limited photo range.
I don't see where you tested the primary offhand.
These transformers rarely fail, so I'd be looking elsewhere in the circuit.
Not an easy task for inexperienced.

If you turn the board over you can test the voltage on the primary side via solder joints... But i ended up removing it from the board and jumpering to each tap on the primary side (measured 170Vdc). Secondary side was completely disconnected and measured 0vdc.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Transformers don't transform DC.
The switchmode transform a high frequency switched dc from the input rectifiers.
If your input is solid dc from the input rectifier and filter then there is a problem in the switcher section.
The unit needs to be assembled for the switcher to work.

Fred012

Aug 4, 2021
Transformers don't transform DC.
The switchmode transform a high frequency switched dc from the input rectifiers.
If your input is solid dc from the input rectifier and filter then there is a problem in the switcher section.
The unit needs to be assembled for the switcher to work.
Gotcha ill look at the opto

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
What components are under the heatsink after the X2 capacitor?
Have you checked the fuse again to see if a short has caused it to fail again?

Martin