Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help on Cord repair...How can this be?

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I have a robotic cleaner that crawls along the bottom of a pool to clean it. Suddenly it stopped working.

I took it apart and I applied 24 volts (whicnbnis what it runs. on), directly to the motor. The motor began work g. This means that there is a short in the long rubber like cord that carries the voltage to the unit. So, I cut the cord, (it is really long so I have at least 5 feet to spare).

I figure I would cut it where the cord plugs into its 24 volt power supply, and keeping cutting, until I cut the shorted piece of cord out.
When I cut the cord, I expected to see two wires ( as the power unit has two prongs) and the clip that connect the power to the motor, Alsop has two prongs. However, when I cut the cord, I only found one wire (actually several wires that are bass like). see pic. How come there is not two wires and how would I deal with this?

This is the unit.
https://www.swimcsi.com/smartpool-kleen-machine.html

and manual

https://www.swimaloha.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2012-PTKM100-Manual-U.S.pdf

Thank-youIMG_5308.jpg IMG_5309.jpg

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
I do not know whatever you call a "short"
To diagnose a cable, you use a continuity meter, not a cable cutter. To repair something, you must know how it works , otherwise is not repairing, it is guessing.:(

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Doubt very much it would be a short, more likely an open circuit. (break in the cabling)

The cable is commonly known as "enamelled copper wire" or in some parts "winding wire" used in motor windings etc.
You've open a real pandoras box cutting the lead as it would have been waterproofed and getting back to that arrangement is well nigh impossible using conventional means.

Did you read the manual especially the warnings placed right on the front page?
Might be a good move to take notice of them as they are there for a reason.

Best contact the manufacturer/supplier for replacement part if you've determined cable is "open" due to a break.
Note this "enamelled wire" has a coating which needs to be scraped off before testing.
Before you cut it would have been the best approach.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
The cord is 40 feet or so. About 10 of it goes in the pool. I cut it at the opposite end. There is about 20 feet that will never be near water.

so this type of wire only has one lead? I would prefer to buy a new cord altogether but this item is no longer made

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
In the cable I can see at least 8 cores, each may or may not be independant, in any case you have cut the lead and have no idea which core goes where.
Pretty much your own worst enemy in this instance.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
What I don't understand is if there are 8 cores, is it because they have this special coating that they can be bunched together without interfering with each other?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
What I don't understand is if there are 8 cores, is it because they have this special coating that they can be bunched together without interfering with each other?

Exactly, they are insulated by an enamelled coating, well enamelled in the old days, perhaps some form of epoxy now-a-days.

Look at how coils for motor windings are formed to get your head around the concept.

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
Yes, the same kind of wire is used in motors, transformers and guitar pickups.
It ensures greater safety in this role, but it is a bit more prone to breakage at flex points

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks to all for the warnings; especially BlueJets. I have opted to buy a new cord that I found online.
likely the best course of action ... even with sealant super powers, the construction of the cable isn't exactly user friendly

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Funny..Got a new cord. Installed it. The propellor now works but the wheels do not move. Any thoughts?

In the manual is says it has a chassis with sensor wheels.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Does it need to be submerged for the wheels to move ?
Are you planning second diagnosis with cable cutters or with multimeter ?

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I submerged it. It is out in the sun drying. I plan to open it up again but thought I’d first see if anyone has ideas here. Thank you