Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Creating an alphabetized list

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I need to create a list of items. Example: Resistors, ICs, Squeezy Clamps, Resistance Wire. I desire an app that will alphabetize each line according to its beginning letter. Also as I add new items to the list, they will be placed in the list in alphabetical order. It seems like such a simple task but I am drawing a complete blank. Perhaps in wordpad there might be a command that says "Alphabetize" and I am just not seeing it. I'm baffled.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I am trying to get a grip on my inventory. What seems to work is to give each item its own folder. I have 40 tubs on a rack. Example: LM555P is a sub folder of ICs which is sub-folder of TUB RACK. I will have a file which tells what part is in what tub and a file that lists what parts are in a specific tub. Simple enough. I imagine there is a free inventory app out there but I think this technique will suffice for now.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

As @Nanren888 said, using a spreadsheet, called calc in libre office, could be done.
You could make several tabs for the catagories.
You can download libreoffice here:
https://www.libreoffice.org/
It is totaly free and very good ( in my opinion ).
You could also make a real database using the base part of libre office, but that has a steaper learning curve.

Bertus

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Tried Google sheets? Open/libre office Spreadsheet? Excel?
I watched the first tutorial on Excel and it certainly seems to be a powerful tool. If someday I should desire to log items such as manufacturer, manufacturer's part number, high and low cost of item, high and low limits of item in stock, lead times, etc., I believe Excel or a comparable app would be appropriate. Currently I merely want to be able to find the items I have on hand. Using the nested file folder technique, with it's ability to alphabetize new part additions, seems as though it will accomplish my needs. If I am diligent about adjusting "pieces in stock" figures, it should also keep me from suddenly noticing that I am out of a particular item or device. I very much appreciate your input on this matter. I am also assuming that alphabetizing, say the part's name column, will be a standard command on these spreadsheet programs. I have always despised having to search 20 or 30 minutes for a tool or a part required to accomplish a 10 minute task. I guess it is about time I did something about it. Perhaps when you were a youngin, you were reprimanded by your father for not returning a tool to the place from which you borrowed it. I caught on to that frustrating event decades ago. Being retired now and no longer in the race with the rest of the rats, and quite thankful about it, I can no longer pinpoint a single part's location among a few thousand others. Thanks again for the suggestions.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Hello,

As @Nanren888 said, using a spreadsheet, called calc in libre office, could be done.
You could make several tabs for the catagories.
You can download libreoffice here:
https://www.libreoffice.org/
It is totaly free and very good ( in my opinion ).
You could also make a real database using the base part of libre office, but that has a steaper learning curve.

Bertus
Please see my reply to Nanren888. Regarding the quote that accompanies your profile, many years ago I noticed that some people can not tolerate being asked a question that they do not know the answer to. So keep asking the questions but use some discretion. It is best not to P O a "superior."

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
I think we have tried to help. There may be a learning curve with all products, apps. For the ones suggested it is modest.
Many spreadsheets allow you to add new rows on the bottom, then without programming, choose to view by sorting by any column, often by just clicking at the top of the column, so in viewing they can always appear in numerical or alphabetical order making it easy to locate if that is the way you want.
If you want to look through some of those tutorials, there are probably some that will show you how to filter a view, for example one column less than a number, eg stock getting low.

For a more comlete answer, as above.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
watched the first tutorial on Excel and it certainly seems to be a powerful tool.

ohh my :)
You have never used a spreadsheet eg Excel ?
You cannot go past it for easy loggng of catalogs, lists etc
I have been using various versions of excel for at least 25 years.
Rock and mineral collections
Amateur radio log book
Meteorite collection
and a number of other similar other uses

As a basic list system it's really easy to setup and use. It only requires some more serious learning of you want to get into using maths formula, linking sheets etc

sing out if you need some help setting up a catalog :)

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
However, what @HANKMARS wants to achieve can be done with a text editor. At least Notepad++ can sort lines in alphabetical order.

it could but would be a bit basic and more difficult to alpha. items and there are no tab functions etc
I only use notepad for the very basic little bits of text, otherwise I use word
BUT for any lists and being able to manipulate the data, use tabs etc you need excel or other spreadsheet

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I only use notepad for the very basic little bits of text, otherwise I use word
Note: notepad ++
The simple notepad that comes with Windows is is not capable of sorting. Notepad++ on the other hand is a very powerful editor. Sorting lines in alphabetical order is super easy, just a few clicks away.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I think we have tried to help. There may be a learning curve with all products, apps. For the ones suggested it is modest.
Many spreadsheets allow you to add new rows on the bottom, then without programming, choose to view by sorting by any column, often by just clicking at the top of the column, so in viewing they can always appear in numerical or alphabetical order making it easy to locate if that is the way you want.
If you want to look through some of those tutorials, there are probably some that will show you how to filter a view, for example one column less than a number, eg stock getting low.

For a more comlete answer, as above.
Yes, you have been helpful. I will be viewing tutorials and determining which apps will best suit my needs. During this time I will continue logging inventory in the somewhat archaic manner that I am. Simple and straightforward and I want inventory done now. In the last week I have logged the items in 4 tubs. That's 4 out of 40. I may have to reprimand myself. Thank you for your input.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Note: notepad ++
The simple notepad that comes with Windows is is not capable of sorting. Notepad++ on the other hand is a very powerful editor. Sorting lines in alphabetical order is super easy, just a few clicks away.
Is NOTEPAD++ a free download from Microsoft? I'll look it up here soon.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
ohh my :)
You have never used a spreadsheet eg Excel ?
You cannot go past it for easy loggng of catalogs, lists etc
I have been using various versions of excel for at least 25 years.
Rock and mineral collections
Amateur radio log book
Meteorite collection
and a number of other similar other uses

As a basic list system it's really easy to setup and use. It only requires some more serious learning of you want to get into using maths formula, linking sheets etc

sing out if you need some help setting up a catalog :)

Dave
A relative of mine entered business some years back. One day, whatever the reason, he was explaining the use of a spreadsheet in keeping track of inventory, revenue gathered, etc. He showed me how you could define the various fields and then manipulate those figures within the fields by proper placement of formulas concerned with those figures.Very impressive tools when compared to hand entered data upon paper. I have witnessed quite a wide spectrum of accounts tools it seems. Generally my only hands on was related to inventory. A lumberyard I worked at for a couple years out of HS, used a cigar box as a cash register from day one until closing out business. I will guess it was a run of 30-35 years. Ya gotta "Get er done."

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Free: yes.
Microsoft: no.
I downloaded Notepad++, looked thru the various functions and watched a tutorial for beginners. I was expecting something more like a document editor. Something like Word or Open Office. To me, it appears Notepad++ is an editor specifically designed for writing programs. I honestly find the spreadsheet apps to be more easily navigated and constructed as well as more intuitive.Most of Notepad++ seemed quite foreign to me. I will guess that is because I have very little experience in program with high level languages.