Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modify a motorized projector screen to run on batteries

mariorossi

Dec 10, 2021
Hi,
I'm looking to make my own home theatre and I want to install a motorized projector screen to control it via Home Assistant. Unfortunately I don't have an electrical output near the installation point, so my question is: is it possible to modify it to run on batteries?

I saw this model on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Akia-Motoriz...rized+projection+screen&qid=1639133695&sr=8-5

but it doesn't specify the electrical consumption. Btw, I'm from Italy and here we have 220V output from house plugs. I assume there must be a transformer inside the projector, which I have to bypass right?
Sorry if I'm writing something stupid but I have near to zero knowledge on the subject!

Thanks in advance for any help!

crutschow

May 7, 2021
You will have to determine what the internal DC voltage is and how much current it takes.

Otherwise you could measure the AC power consumption and buy a DC-AC inverter to run it from the battery.
The problem with that is, you would need to shut off the inverter when not powering the screen to prevent discharge of the battery due to its quiescent current.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
is it possible to modify it to run on batteries?

Two potential issues. If the actual DRIVING MOTOR is a DC device then using a battery pack is perfectly feasible. If the motor is an AC version then, as suggested, an inverter would be required.

If battery operation is a specific requirement then I suggest you seek a screen that has that as a facility.