Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Preventing a possible 12v short circuit

smilegr8

Dec 30, 2021
Good evening everyone !

My very first post here :)
I was wondering if somebody can spare few min to have a look at the diagram / sketch I have attached and advise how to solve the issue I have .
Basically I need to power a 12v liniar actuator via 2 different timer switches , one switch has the outputs reversed so the actuator can retract

1 timer switch will be on for 60sec at 14:30 and the other timer switch will be on for 60 sec at 21:30
A short circuit is certain if somehow both timer switches will be on at the same time ( let say one switch fails )

Happy to pay for a coffee if somebody can solve the mystery for me in a simple way as i'm a total beginner :)

Happy 2022

Attachments

• switch-problem.jpg
    switch-problem.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 17

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The way how I see I think you have the diodes will not work.
Cannot see actual diode polarity in your so-called diagram.
Most here don't work for beans....:):)

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
That timer has + and - inputs and + and - outputs. When the timer is *off*, is there any continuity between the input and output terminals? For example, are the two - terminals connected all the time, and the timer breaks only the connection between the + terminals?

ak

smilegr8

Dec 30, 2021
That timer has + and - inputs and + and - outputs. When the timer is *off*, is there any continuity between the input and output terminals? For example, are the two - terminals connected all the time, and the timer breaks only the connection between the + terminals?

ak

Good evening- yes I think so at least that's what i can understand from the diagram below .
Thank you Iurie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-223528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-223528_Chrome.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 12

crutschow

May 7, 2021
If both timers are on at the same time, there won't be a short if they are applying power from the same 12v supply.

smilegr8

Dec 30, 2021
If both timers are on at the same time, there won't be a short if they are applying power from the same 12v supply.
Yes both timers will have the same source however for the actuator ( dc motor ) to travel in both directions second timer has the output polarity the other round

smilegr8

Dec 30, 2021

ak

Thanks for asking about continuity, considering that two terminals are connected all the time - my already poor designed diagram is a total failure:)
I will probably go for a manual DPDT momentary switch instead

Thanks everyone for your time
Regards Iurie

Last edited:

crutschow

May 7, 2021
I will probably go for a manual DPDT momentary switch instead
Sorry I didn't properly understand your requirements, thus my incorrect previous response.

You can use two 12Vdc SPDT relays in a bridge configuration, activated by the timers to control the actuator as shown below:
It will not cause a short even if both relays are on at the same time (it would just apply +12V to both actuator connections which means it's OFF).
upload_2021-12-31_8-59-47.png

Last edited:

smilegr8

Dec 30, 2021
Sorry I'd didn't properly understand your requirements, thus my incorrect previous response.

You can use two 12Vdc SPDT relays in a bridge configuration, activated by the timers to control the actuator as shown below:
It will not cause a short even if both relays are on at the same time (it would just apply +12V to both actuator connections which means it's OFF).
View attachment 53737

Thanks Crutschow

I ll print it out and ask my neighbour ( electrician) to read it for me before i mess it up : )

Happy 2022 !

crutschow

May 7, 2021
I always pick relays with a normally closed contacts so they can be interlocked like this.View attachment 53738
I think that's essentially that same circuit as my post #12.

The diodes in my circuit are to prevent contact arcing and erosion from the high reverse transient voltages otherwise generated by the relay coil and actuator inductances.

Last edited:

crutschow

May 7, 2021
I ll print it out and ask my neighbour ( electrician) to read it for me before i mess it up : )
If you aren't aware, the lines in the schematic represent wire connections, and a dot on the wire indicates the two wires are connected together. The two wires can be connected together at any convenient point in the physical circuit (such as a relay terminal).

smilegr8

Dec 30, 2021
If you aren't aware, the lines in the schematic represent wire connections, and a dot on the wire indicates the two wires are connected together. The two wires can be connected together at any convenient point in the physical circuit (such as a relay terminal).
Thank you !