Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tektronix 2214 Storage Oscilloscope can't slide back case to repair it

Kevin35

Jan 20, 2022
I bought a Tek 2214 scope at a local auction for a great price, and it worked in the Spring when I took it home. However later in the Fall when I turned it on, a wisp of smoke emerged and the screen failed to light up. The fuse is, amazingly, still good and appears original. So today I put it on my bench to troubleshoot, removed the rear screws, and for the life of me I can't get the case to slide back more than 4 inches. Acts like it is catching on something inside but I can't see it. I did remove the side-mounted panel with the Ext Trig/Hardcopy connectors on it first, and tucked the flat cable inside. The handle is still on this case. Has anyone else seen this problem and solved it? I don't want to force it or break the weld on the case. Thanks!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Often the mounting and dismounting requires two directions. In this case try moving the case back a bit, then lifting it up. Maybe at an angle other than 90 °.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I don’t know whether yours has a top and back only but my scope has a back and complete case surrounding it.
The chassis slides forward out of the casing. Mine had loose handle/stand ratchets which upon sliding forward, were catching inside. It was very difficult to actually see this so disassembly took some time until I finally realised. I had to make sure the handle/stand was folded right back under the casing. Then gently force each side ratchet out as to clear the chassis while removing it. Once realised, the chassis slid out without further issues.
So I guess my question to you is, are the side ratchets for handle/stand adjustment loose?

Martin

Kevin35

Jan 20, 2022
I don’t know whether yours has a top and back only but my scope has a back and complete case surrounding it.
The chassis slides forward out of the casing. Mine had loose handle/stand ratchets which upon sliding forward, were catching inside. It was very difficult to actually see this so disassembly took some time until I finally realised. I had to make sure the handle/stand was folded right back under the casing. Then gently force each side ratchet out as to clear the chassis while removing it. Once realised, the chassis slid out without further issues.
So I guess my question to you is, are the side ratchets for handle/stand adjustment loose?

Martin
Mine also has the case surrounding the chassis. With the case pulled back, I can peek down the top and bottom interior case surfaces and can see there is no interferences. The left. side interior shows an obstruction, possibly the handle mount screw. I agree this might be the culprit although the handle pull-outs work as expected and do not feel loose. I had the handle folded on top, will try rotating to the bottom and also jam the handle pull-outs out and try again. Thanks for the comment!

Kevin35

Jan 20, 2022
Update: I am now confident the handle screws (or at least 1 of them) is sticking out inside and is bent enough to catch on the chassis, preventing the case from sliding off. I tried using a sheet of 0.025 inch aluminum as a “jimmy”, sliding it in to push the screw head or washer outward enough to let it slide past the chassis cross-bar, but it pinched so hard the “jjmmy” got stuck. I eventually pried the sheet back out, and could see a deep gouge in the sheet where it had crossed the screw. Now thinking I will have to cut the case to remove it. Will require a repair to repair the cut, and I still have an electronics problem to troubleshoot.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Lol. Sorry.
Try moving the stand while the screw is stuck. It might screw itself back in half a mil. Don’t cut anything!.
You’ll be better to get the tongue at the right angle and just pull it.
Also, if it’s just one side, put the unit on the floor and pull quickly from the opposite side. Difficult to explain.

Martin