Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Re-attaching wire to multi-pin connector

Chet Sportsman

Feb 14, 2022
Hi! Thank you for reading my post.

I am repairing a TASCAM 244 4-track cassette recorder. I encountered a small screw that was badly stripped, so I used my dremel to cut a slot in the top of the screw head. That worked great! Got the screw out.

Unfortunately, I created a new problem. On my last pass with the dremel, I cut a wire going into a connection point.

I might have juuuuust enough slack on the wire to solder it back in, but honestly I think I might create further new problems that way. So I think my best bet is to replace the entire wire.

My question is - inside the port in the connector, there is a hard metal end that won't come out. I've tried pulling it with my very precise needle nose pliers, but I can't quite get in there enough to grab it. How do I get the port cleared so I can install a new wire?

Attachments

• cut wire.png
    cut wire.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 7

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
inside the port in the connector, there is a hard metal end that won't come out.
Usually there is a small metal tab that holds the connector within the case. Push that metal tab, e.g. with a small screwdriver, then withdraw the connector. Before reinserting the connector, make sure the tab stands out a bit so it can hold the connector securely in place. The tab should be accessible here:
upload_2022-2-14_13-38-35.png

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

You could push out the metal part in the connector:
cut wire comment.png
I see that @Harald Kapp also mentioned the same.

Bertus

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
you can buy a crimping tool if you do it often otherwise soldering it back on will be fine