Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switching multiple lines at once?

GC91

Jul 13, 2022
Hi,

I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I'm not very well versed with electronics and yet I'm trying to design a circuit of my own to assist me at work but I've encountered a problem and I'm scratching my head on how to resolve it.

In the simplest terms, I want to create a box with switches on the outside to switch in 2 different circuits when I need one or the other to be active. Each circuit has 15 signal lines, which is where my issue is; Is there a component that would allow me to easily switch between the 1st set of 15 or the 2nd set of 15? I've looked at physical switches but can only find a maximum of 6 points, I've looked at relays but found a maximum of switching 2 sets of signals at once.

I'd like it so that when 1 set of 15 is active, the other set of 15 is completely isolated.

Any help would be very much appreciated! I've inserted the world's crudest diagram to show vaguely what I mean, I didn't draw all 15 signals to the component as I hope it's quite explanatory with 3 lines!

Thanks,
GC

Attachments

• Conundrum.jpg
    Conundrum.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 7

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
You could use four 4PDT relays. Wire the relay coils in parallel. Wire the 16 common terminals to the output. Then the 16 normally open terminals are wired to one set of signals, and the 16 normally closed terminals wired to the other set. The spare set of terminals could drive an indicator light or any logic output.

GC91

Jul 13, 2022
Thank you, so do you mean something like this?
KPmvmlP

I do have a further question if this is the case.

Edit; Image below. Apparently naive with electronics AND forums

GC91

Jul 13, 2022
What are the signals..??

I'm not 100% sure exactly but they're lines from a bunch of different sensor arrays that go to a data logger, some are mV signal lines, some are 12v power supplies to the sensors, some are earths and signal grounds, and there's at least 1 excitation voltage, and a few others

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
You are on the right track with your diagram, just maintain proper spacing, shielding, and strain relief. That is a lot of wires ... do you plan to use multi-point connectors or just wire the bundles directly?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You get a module with 16 channels e.g. like this one. Simply connect all control inputs to a single switch.
Connect the COM pin of the relay to the output.
Connect the NC pin to one input channel, the NO pin to the other input channel. Repeat for all 15 channels.

Reactions: q12

GC91

Jul 13, 2022
I have a reel of 18 core shielded cable to use for it, I've wired up the sensors directly from 1 set of 15 to the sensors and that works fine, just trying to create a system whereby I can flick from 1 system to a 2nd system without needing to disconnect plugs. I've created a final crude image to describe my overall system.

24V will go to relays and systems via a first switch to determine power off/on to 2 systems, and a 2nd switch to energise/de-energise relays to divert signals from sensors to system 1 or system 2.Conundrum3.jpg

GC91

Jul 13, 2022
You get a module with 16 channels e.g. like this one. Simply connect all control inputs to a single switch.
Connect the COM pin of the relay to the output.
Connect the NC pin to one input channel, the NO pin to the other input channel. Repeat for all 15 channels.

This is brilliant and would be absolutely perfect, is it easy to wire all the control inputs to 1 switch?