Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I have become a conservative but brot apathy with me so I don't really mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
DEFINITION OF TERMS ! Need I explain? It IS important. I can't seem to stay on topic, hence, I am here. Definition of terms is important. In some situations, paramount. When the first space shuttle was a few minutes out from landing, mission control broadcast, " Twelve minutes til splash down." The shuttle commander radioed back a rebuttal with the request, " Can we change that to touch down, please?" If one is to discuss algorithmic creation for self-driving vehicles, one would be wise to drive a car for the acquisition of knowledge gained from experience. I at least try to recognize a field's vernacular. If one assumes that the person of whom one is requesting an answer, is likely to not be as helpful as possible, then what will be that person's attitude about the question if extra time needs spent for extrapolation and interpretation of the inquisitor's inquiry? E.g. A few years ago, I, at a Home Depot, was strolling past a portable work station, manned by 2 woman, on my way to the tools section. One of the ladies asked if she could help me find anything. I stated that I was searching for a carabiner. The woman jumped to her feet, was headed around the end of her little work station, demanding to know what I called her. I was the proverbial dear in the headlights. I was dumbfounded not only by this person's question, but also by the intensity of anger she projected. Pretty sure the only thing that stopped my jaw from hitting the floor, was my belt buckle. This woman was going to kick my ass into next Tuesday. Then, out of nowhere, someone took my arm by the elbow and forearm, like an usher would an elderly lady to help her to her seat in church, and says, "I can show you where they are." I thot maybe I had suffered a psychotic break and was just returning to reality. I do not know if the term "crew clip" is used nationwide, but if not adopted by the entire Western World, it is the preferred term in Arizona for what was previously called a carabiner clip, or simply carabiner. Don't know how the mountain climbing community feels about that. Don't care. I can see the logic. A German soldier that carried a carbine ( pronounced car / bean, known more so as a rifle in the States ) was referred to as a carabiner and attached the shoulder strap to the carbine with a spring clip which became to be called a carabiner. I can not say, beyond a reasonable doubt, but will make a WAG that the lady I unintentionally offended was of Mexican heritage. She had completely misinterpreted my reply and was not going to tolerate what she perceived to be the situation. I gotta say, that is the most memorable introduction, to an unfamiliar term, I have received. Communication is key to almost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.