Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Original way to use car radio as a garage radio

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
This could be a dream. I take a 12 volt AM radio. I connect 2 lead acid batteries (6 volt each) in series with 4 gauge jumper cables. I use a C-clamp to attach the antenna to the window sill in the garage.

Then I can listen to the radio in the garage just like Grandpa did. Maybe I am still dreaming.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
I take a 12 volt AM radio. I connect 2 lead acid batteries (6 volt each) in series with 4 gauge jumper cables.
That should work fine, no dream, but you don't need 4 gauge wire, as that's for carrying starter level current.
For the radio you shouldn't need anything larger than 16 gauge.
But put a 10A fuse in series with the battery wire to protect against accidental shorts.

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
Oh-oh. I think I have an old Canadian Tire battery charger in the closet somewhere. I am pretty sure it does 6 and 12 volt charging.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Oh-oh. I think I have an old Canadian Tire battery charger in the closet somewhere. I am pretty sure it does 6 and 12 volt charging.
Yes, but chargers don't but out a steady DC, they use the battery for that.
So you'd have to connect it to a 12V battery to get smooth DC.
Also the charger by itself will likely output a much higher voltage than 12V.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Simple to put on a 2 way switch, charge when not in use.
No problem with excess voltage, car alternators do it every day.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
This could be a dream. I take a 12 volt AM radio. I connect 2 lead acid batteries (6 volt each) in series with 4 gauge jumper cables. I use a C-clamp to attach the antenna to the window sill in the garage.

Then I can listen to the radio in the garage just like Grandpa did. Maybe I am still dreaming.
I think you'll also need a pair of speakers, no?

crutschow

May 7, 2021
No problem with excess voltage, car alternators do it every day.
I was concerned that the output voltage on the battery charger without a battery load would go above the 14.5V or so maximum voltage of an alternator connected to a battery.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015

I didn’t see this as a question.
I thought he was telling a story of how grandpa listened to his car radio in the garage.
Especially the part about using a ‘C’ clamp to hold the antenna!.

Martin

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
And make sure the antenna is not touching any metal part of the shed, you won't receive any signals that way. I used to run car cassette players in the shed for many years using "dead" car batteries ( not good enough to start a car, but will run the radio for many weeks), with a charge up every couple of weeks.