Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sit / Stand Desk Control System

VintageDR

Mar 19, 2021
Hi All,

Hoping to figure out a way to repair my sit/stand desk. It's about 10 years old now, and I think they do not manufacture the motor anymore.

It's a spzx8b1-cu Control System, manufactured by Maruni. I'm not sure why, exactly, but the control box stopped working consistently awhile back. In a desparate move a few years ago, I physically smacked the control box and suddenly, it started working again. Then, I forgot about it. I moved my desk this last week, and bam, the desk was stuck in the lowest position, and I'm getting nothing from the control box. I actually had to put the desk up on pavers just to use it in a sitting position.

Is there any advice that someone could give about how to get the box repaired, or otherwise get it working again. I've tried all the standard reset procedures, and nothing works. Most local computer, appliance repair places say they won't do the work. One put in a call to the furniture store I bought it from, and they are trying to help, but I have my doubts they'll be able to do anything. Most sit / stand desks these days are much smaller than this one which is 78x40 and requires a beast to both sit on, and lift up and down.

Thanks!

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
No help here, but maybe some explanation.
If it started working again in the past after a little percussive maintenence then likely something lis oose that should not be. Possible an old solder joint that needs resoldering. Perhaps a connector loose, but maybe less likely.
Where I am, most repair places have moved to a model of replacement module or board-level parts only. That is, labour rates are too high and number of different device types is too high to make actual repairs economic. But there are exceptions.
The desks some use in my organisation are a simple external power supply providing 12volts to a controller. If the controller is low voltage, like that, then working on it can be safe enough with care, when the poer is disconnected. If the controller is high voltage, that is, has mains voltage into it,.then it's a job for experts.
Couldn't see details of the number you posted with a quick search.

VintageDR

Mar 19, 2021
I've attached a pic here.

There doesn't seem to be anyone who will attempt a repair locally. It's too bad. This thing moves a desk that's worth a lot, and doesn't really need to be replaced.

Attachments

• SPZX8-CU.jpg
    SPZX8-CU.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 8

maker_aavfjxm9_1663029362

Sep 13, 2022
Hi All,

Hoping to figure out a way to repair my sit/stand desk. It's about 10 years old now, and I think they do not manufacture the motor anymore.

It's a spzx8b1-cu Control System, manufactured by Maruni. I'm not sure why, exactly, but the control box stopped working consistently awhile back. In a desparate move a few years ago, I physically smacked the control box and suddenly, it started working again. Then, I forgot about it. I moved my desk this last week, and bam, the desk was stuck in the lowest position, and I'm getting nothing from the control box. I actually had to put the desk up on pavers just to use it in a sitting position.

Is there any advice that someone could give about how to get the box repaired, or otherwise get it working again. I've tried all the standard reset procedures, and nothing works. Most local computer, appliance repair places say they won't do the work. One put in a call to the furniture store I bought it from, and they are trying to help, but I have my doubts they'll be able to do anything. Most sit / stand desks these days are much smaller than this one which is 78x40 and requires a beast to both sit on, and lift up and down.

Thanks!
Hi, I have the same Maruni control box that is also not working. I got it from someone who said he thinks it got damaged when it was plugged into an international power outlet, so I was going to see if I could get it repaired or find a replacement. I'm hoping the motors are ok and just the control box was damaged. Any luck with you repairing or replacing your unit?

somtimestech

Jan 25, 2023
Press and hold both the up and down buttons for about 10-15 seconds. Both motors will lower the desk to the bottom position and so the desk will reset itself. Then it should work fine.
Holy Guac. I have been stuck with this situation for a year and refused to buy a new desk - scored the web, my husband took the motor apart. Was about to order a new desk and thought I'd try my motor once more... I swear I did this reset before! But somehow I saw your post, i thought, "I tried that..." and yet, tried it again. Lo and behold!!! You just assisted in saving me over a thousand dollars. THANK YOU!

HelenKryzhnyaya

May 1, 2023
Hello, I too registered for this website just to say BIG THANK YOU to Dave Norris for enlightening us how to reset this 'old' design table. It stopped working about a year ago and I had no idea who to call to troubleshoot the issue. What do you know: 5 sec and the job is done:) Amazing!!! Thank you so very much!!!

Marci

Jan 11, 2024
I have the same desk. It's a Scandinavian teak sit to stand desk. I've had it for over 10 years and it's worked fine. The store I bought it from is no longer in existence. When I do the reset procedure (which I've done a couple times over the last 10 years and always worked fine), only one side goes down, so now my desk is at an angle. I've done everything I think I can: reset, unplugged and replugged, banged on the box. Any ideas for a desperate work-at-home business owner?