Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Emergency cutoff for air compressor

Fizzabit

Oct 27, 2022
Looking for the best way to shut a air compressor down if a hose breaks while I'm away.
I'm concerned of a run away situation and possible fire.
How can I shut the power off permanently if the unit runs too long?
The load is 15 amps @ 120 volts.
I could possibly use a Air conditioner contactor which has a 24 volt coil and can act as a relay for this purpose.
I was thinking maybe something Arduino based but not sure what would be the easiest way to accomplish this project?
Any ideas?
Thanks Wayne

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
If you’re away, why not simply switch it off and close the output tap?.
I would also think that emptying it and leaving the bottom valve open for drainage would be a good time for preventative maintenance.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Use a pressure switch on the output. When the pressure falls due to a leak, teh switch will turn off the compressor.
You will need a bypass to start the compressor from zero pressure without the pressure switch preventing startup.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I like Martins application .......:).......simple and failsafe.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Looking for the best way to shut a air compressor down if a hose breaks while I'm away.
I'm concerned of a run away situation and possible fire.
How can I shut the power off permanently if the unit runs too long?
The load is 15 amps @ 120 volts.
I could possibly use a Air conditioner contactor which has a 24 volt coil and can act as a relay for this purpose.
I was thinking maybe something Arduino based but not sure what would be the easiest way to accomplish this project?
Any ideas?
Thanks Wayne
You can always use that contactor and set a Timed relay to shut it off. Time how long it takes to fill the tank. Set the timer like 10 seconds past.

Low pressure switch kicks on.
Timer relay turns on and activates the contactor (placed between the switch and motor).
Once tank is full the low pressure switch does it's thing. Cuts off power to timer and inturn the contactor.

If the tank does not get full and air is bleeding out, compressor stays on longer than normal, the timer cuts the power of to contactor and inturn to the motor. Does not cut power to the low pressure switch. That will keep the timer active which keeps the contactor off, motor off.

If interested send me the make model of compressor and parts you have and I can see about making a diagram.

One thing tho. When using the compressor, doing this will shut it down every so often if you continuously using it. For this you need a bypass. A simple mechanical wall/light switch timer can be used. The kind you turn the knob and set for a certain time. This way it will go back to the timer cutoff automatically. Using just a switch to bypass may be forgotten to turn off.

I can give you links if interested.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
If you’re away, why not simply switch it off and close the output tap?.
I would also think that emptying it and leaving the bottom valve open for drainage would be a good time for preventative maintenance.

Martin
Never leave srain valve open. That will leave corrosion to build faster. Preventative maintenance should done with an auto dain valve.