Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help identify [SMD resistor?] Please!

Binary420

Nov 3, 2022
This has gotta cost like a dime, and yet a replacement board would entail losing my original vin and would cost like ~$500
So I'd very much appreciate anyone's help in identifying this pcb part.

It's very small and appears to be tan/brown colored? (The one labeled GND)
I believe it's called an SMD resistor but could certainly be incorrect. There don't appear to be any marking on it so beside the tan color, picture quality is pretty much irrelevant here

Fwiw, it appears to be the same shape and size as all the other unlabeled tan bits on this board (such as the vcc +5v)(and also the large vertical column of them all the way on the right in the pic) but that is also an uneducated observation

I was soldering to it, and had to re-solder it like 10+ times and finally it gave out, got stuck to my solder iron and ultimately it was lost completely

Need to replace it, does it have to be identical and is there a specific orientation to this part?

Attachments

• BMW-CAS3-v2.thumb.jpg.98f69d11021049a6a6ef675b8ec297e1.jpg
    BMW-CAS3-v2.thumb.jpg.98f69d11021049a6a6ef675b8ec297e1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Binary420

Nov 3, 2022
Perhaps these alternative pics can help? Circled in white

02-cas3-probes-location-diagram-03.jpgcas3+_0M23S.jpgBMW-CAS3-v2.thumb.jpg.98f69d11021049a6a6ef675b8ec297e1.jpg

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
What I am seeing is a monolithic block ceramic capacitor, most commonly used for bypassing and MOST commonly, statistically used, being a 0.1 ufd at typically a 50VDC rating. Next most likely a 0.01 ufd unit . That might possibly even work without it.
It is not as likely, as if it was being a resistor and left an open circuit .

Binary420

Nov 3, 2022
What I am seeing is a monolithic block ceramic capacitor, most commonly used for bypassing and MOST commonly, statistically used, being a 0.1 ufd at typically a 50VDC rating. Next most likely a 0.01 ufd unit . That might possibly even work without it.
It is not as likely, as if it was being a resistor and left an open circuit .
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.
If I were to just pop one of those in blindly,
Would I be better off plugging it in with nothing first, with the 0.1, or with the 0.01 ?

In other words which of the 3 resolutions would be least likely to cause further / irreversible damage?
Or am I pretty safe just picking either and hoping it powers on, and otherwise trying the other?

Binary420

Nov 3, 2022
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.
If I were to just pop one of those in blindly,
Would I be better off plugging it in with nothing first, with the 0.1, or with the 0.01 ?

In other words which of the 3 resolutions would be least likely to cause further / irreversible damage?
Or am I pretty safe just picking either and hoping it powers on, and otherwise trying the other?
Or better yet, I'll test ohm value of many of the others on the board and hope they are all the same spec, so that I can feel more confident I'm replacing it with the right one.

After all, this is not a toyota or honda. This is a bmw m3 and it was very cleverly designed to **** you as hard as possible when attempting to diy ANYTHING.

So while you're probably right, you probably also never had to deal with the "advanced engineering" of a bmw.

Literally they are engineered to break

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Well . . . .Sir Binary 420 . . . . . its in the book . . . . . ITS IN 'DA BOOK *****. . . . . so lets now consult 'DA BOOK .

Techno Referencing is being now made to . . .

Looking at the 112 pin version of that unit, which is being used in your unit.
We consult page 1297 and see that its being C1 . . . a plain vanilla ceramic . . . .that is being being used in a power supply bypassing function.

Now refer to page 1295 for component value and see that 3 out of 5 capacitor values groups are being the touted 0.1 ufd value, but, here they seem to have doubled up on your suspicioned 0.1 ufd value and made it a 0.22 ufd unit

Page 1308 gives further specific part numbering info .

NOWGOYEFORTHANDDOITTOIT !

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

Sound Bite

Binary420

Nov 3, 2022
Damn, that was amazing.
You should really apply for a job at NASA or SpaceX or something.

Thank you oh so very much sir.
Very impressive.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Or better yet, I'll test ohm value of many of the others on the board and hope they are all the same spec, so that I can feel more confident I'm replacing it with the right one.

you cannot test capacitors with an ohm meter
you need to use a capacitance meter and the capacitor would have to come out of circuit
so that the reading isnt influenced by the surrounding circuitry

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
The last nickels worth of your query . . . . .
is there a specific orientation to this part?
Nope . . . its non polarized and I usually use a round tooth pick pressed down on its center to hold it in place, until I get the mystical and magical Pb Sn concoction applied to its ends.

Last edited: