Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where to buy shielded jumper cables?

JPilot1

Nov 18, 2022
Hello all,

I thought this would be relatively simple to find online but no luck searching so far. I'm simply looking for a pack of typical breadboard jumper wires, but which also include shielding. Does something like this exist?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
You could make your own using lengths of RG-58u thinnet coax cable.

Buy some patch cables that you can cut and then prepare the ends. Strip back to expose the center solid conductor. Work the shielding to one side and solder on a bit of solid wire to fit into the breadboard. Cut the jumpers long enough so you are not making sharp bends when using them.

You might also find thin coax cables used in circuits for antennas.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Of course, you will now have two connections at each end of the cable that must be connected, as the shielding doesn't help if it's not grounded.
Why do you think you need shielded cables?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello all,

I thought this would be relatively simple to find online but no luck searching so far. I'm simply looking for a pack of typical breadboard jumper wires, but which also include shielding. Does something like this exist?

Thanks for reading!

this begs the obvious question ...Why ?

I could understand going from BB out to off-board test gear or other sections of a project. Is that what you want to do ??

But going between places on a board isa little pointless

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
typical breadboard jumper wires, but which also include shielding. Does something like this exist?
I have never seen something the like.
Using shielded cables on a bradboard setup seem futile to me.
For high frequency breadboarding techniques like the "dead bug technique" can be used which give you a low impedance ground plane, short connections and god hf-behavior.

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
Hello all,

Thanks for reading!
I don't think something like that exists except you design it yourself

JPilot1

Nov 18, 2022
Thank you for the replies everyone. The reason I want shielding is that I'm powering 64 SiPMs from a single power supply via a breadboard, then reading each of those SiPMs with a scope. And if I wire them with unshielded jumper wires, I get a lot of noise (EMI/parasitic oscillations I assume) which overwhelm the signal pulses. And I would like to avoid having to solder 100+ SMA cables if possible. Maybe there is a better way to do this?

On a side note in regard to Crutschow's point, why would the shielding have to grounded? Doesn't an outer conductor block EMI just by its presence?

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Try using ribbon cable with alternate cores connected to ground. Ferrite beads on each data line would also help but I suspect it isn't necessary.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I'm powering 64 SiPMs from a single power supply via a breadboard
Breadboards are notorious for flaky connections. You may have to bite the bullet and solder the connections.