Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I'm new and need help with a capacitor

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
Hello everyone. As I said I am new here and I ran into a problem with a capacitor on a repair. I have tried to find this capacitor online and get similar caps but one of the values is usually different, usually the voltage and there is no uf stated on the cap itself but is on the ones on-line for sale. I found one with the same values but its bigger than the one in the picture (longer and the posts are farther apart) I can't find the exact same one. If anyone can give me some insight into where to get this exact one or a good substitute it would be much appreciated. Also a good place to buy my capacitors online would be great as well.
Thanks for any help you can give Newbie.IMG_2022-11-19_14-06-11.jpg

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You need to look for one of the WIMA products MKP4 etc, most distributors sell them Mouser, Digikey etc.
What is the caps function?

WIMA MKP-X2Metallized Polypropylene (PP) RFI-Capacitors Class X2.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
and there is no uf stated on the cap itself but ......

..... but there is :) 334 is the value which equals 0.33uF
NOTE: this is a X2 rated capacitor which is one that you me used in say a mains section of a power supply

So, as Minder asked ( in another way), where did it come from in the circuit ?
Please show a photo. resize image to 800x600 max = ~ 100kb

Dave

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
From what I can make out from the photo, is its center all pooched out and is the unviewable far side, possibly, being split ?
This one below meets X2 line cap specs and tolerances and even excels on the all important AC voltage spec.
If yours is not having this 15mm lead spacing, check for other (IN STOCK) units or make lead bends to fit part to holes .

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
NOTE: this is a X2 rated capacitor which is one that you me used in say a mains section of a power supply

Dave
Hello thanks for your reply. It's from the power end of a tv motherboard. I replaced all the other caps but this one. I thinks it has to do with passing power to the main part of the board. The tv turns on but freezes on the name screen so it's not letting power through. I'm trying to do this on a wing and a prayer right now. Not the right equipment and nowhere to buy local. Believe me this town I live in makes me want to join the dark side. To many people to choke out though. As for a pic I'll try to get one up. Thanks again.

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
From what I can make out from the photo, is its center all pooched out and is the unviewable far side, possibly, being split ?
This one below meets X2 line cap specs and tolerances and even excels on the all important AC voltage spec.
If yours is not having this 15mm lead spacing, check for other (IN STOCK) units or make lead bends to fit part to holes .

Thank you for the lead. Ya its swelled up and melted big time. But hopefully I can get the right one in here. Thanks again.

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022

Dave
Ah so that's the uf. The little things I must learn. It's part of the power end of the board. When I turn on the tv it gives the name screen and freezes. I do t think its letting power through to the rest of the board. I'm assuming to protect it. It states replace the fuse with the same type right beside it and it's the closest thing to a fuse I see in that area. Thanks john

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Indeed that unit needs replacing . . . . . . but its being related to your PRINCIPAL problem . . . .
When I turn on the tv it gives the name screen and freezes
As much as your having a comparative no engine start problem . . . . as, your then changing to your spare tire and expecting positive / curative results ( I FIXED IT ! ).
I've been around the block ~ 25,000 times and would relegate this to having to be a board swap situation. . . . and that even being between two different sections.
That is the bliss of having two . . .or more . . .relatives buying the same identical TV at their one time of replacement.

Last edited:

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
I hope I was to find that funny because I did...haven't chuckled like that in a while. Ok so I'm a newbie working on a weird tv board. There is only one board not two so they are combined into one so I assumed that allows power to the other side and all other capacitors have been fully replaced so I'm doing this finger's crossed????

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
Indeed that unit needs replacing . . . . . . but its being related to your PRINCIPAL problem . . . .
When I turn on the tv it gives the name screen and freezes
As much as your having a comparative no engine start problem . . . . as, your then changing to your spare tire and expecting positive / curative results ( I FIXED IT ! ).
I've been around the block ~ 25,000 times and would relegate this to having to be a board swap situation. . . . and that even being between two different sections.
That is the bliss of having two . . .or more . . .relatives buying the same identical TV at their one time of replacement.
So are you saying the problem is probably bigger than this cap ??? :/
Should I just pitch the board?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That X2 cap is most probably directly across the live and neutral where the AC enters the power supply. I would remove it and try the TV again. But I doubt that it’s the main problem. They normally fail short to trigger the fuse. But take it out of circuit and try the TV.

Martin

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Should I just pitch the board?
How could one POSSIBLY even know . . . .with a probability of multiple 1000's of choices with you not even have PROVIDED a manufacturers brand as well as its specific model number.
Your ruptured part will be on the AC line input portion of the power supply board , and if you are getting an on screen display, I can't see a power supply problem. But instead, a problem on the main board, or even a bad HDMI cable could cause that.

Last edited:

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
probably
You still havent posted a photo of the board showing the area where the cap came from
Here is the best I can put up right now.

Attachments

• 20221125_221236.jpg
    20221125_221236.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221125_221219.jpg
    20221125_221219.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 4

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022
That X2 cap is most probably directly across the live and neutral where the AC enters the power supply. I would remove it and try the TV again. But I doubt that it’s the main problem. They normally fail short to trigger the fuse. But take it out of circuit and try the TV.

Martin
Thanks. Ya I tried it and the main screen still comes on. So it shows the name screen and freezes with or without in it place. Now this does take power over to to other parts of the board so I'm thinking some of the board isn't getting the power it needs to continue on. A whole bunch of caps were bubbled on the board so I replaced them already. I put up a picture of where it is on the board. Now I'm assuming it wouldn't be a gòod idea to jump that to test it. Thanks

Attachments

• 20221125_221236.jpg
    20221125_221236.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221125_221219.jpg
    20221125_221219.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
NO. Don’t jump it!!. That will short the AC supply!.
The X2 cap is DIRECTLY across the supply.
I think you need to be really careful playing in there.

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Now I'm assuming it wouldn't be a gòod idea to jump that to test it. Thanks

As Martin said NOOOOO

that capacitor is part of a Mains filter circuit. Primary purpose and along with that inductor is to stop noise from the
switchmode power supply getting back out onto the incoming mains supply

Working on one of these isnt really for the inexperienced. The chances of getting zapped or causing a bang is highly possible

JohnWatson

Nov 19, 2022

Martin
Thanks. Ya I tried it and the main screen still comes on. So it shows the name screen and freezes with or without in it place. Now this does take power over to to other parts of the board so I'm thinking some of the board isn't getting the power it needs to continue on. A whole bunch of caps were bubbled on the board so I replaced them already. I put up a picture of where it is on the board. Now I'm assuming it wouldn't be a gòod idea to jump that to test it.
As Martin said NOOOOO

that capacitor is part of a Mains filter circuit. Primary purpose and along with that inductor is to stop noise from the
switchmode power supply getting back out onto the incoming mains supply

Working on one of these isnt really for the inexperienced. The chances of getting zapped or causing a bang is highly possible
So would you say I should stay away from replacing it and just get a new board?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Thanks. Ya I tried it and the main screen still comes on. So it shows the name screen and freezes with or without in it place. Now this does take power over to to other parts of the board so I'm thinking some of the board isn't getting the power it needs to continue on. A whole bunch of caps were bubbled on the board so I replaced them already. I put up a picture of where it is on the board. Now I'm assuming it wouldn't be a gòod idea to jump that to test it.

So would you say I should stay away from replacing it and just get a new board?
No, we didn’t say that.
Replace the X2 cap. (You can test without it, but replace it).
It also doesn’t ‘send power’ to anything else.

Martin