Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Add BlueTooth Audio Transmitter to Amplifier?

JoseK

Nov 29, 2022
I don't know if it's a DIY project for a noob, but I'd like to build or add a BlueTooth transmitter on the 'back' side of my amplifier where speakers are plugged into push connectors. I want to be able to plug my guitar into a cheap amp I have and use my BT headphones to practice guitar instead of driving speakers with the amplifier. This way I can practice without aggravating my spouse. I've tried plugging my headphones in the amp but having 2 cables is a royal pain that interferes too much with practicing.

I've searched online and cannot find anything that I can afford that will do the job. I've found both BT transmitter and receiver cards on AliExpress for cheap. I don't know if they would work, but my idea is to cobble together a project box, put one (or possibly both) cards in it; and let the card send a BT signal that my Bose headphones would receive. Of course, a wall wart and USB cable to provide power to the card would be needed.

Does this sound feasible as a project for a very old noob to attempt?

I realize that adding a BT receiver might get a bit more complicated, but it might eventually be nice to have a device that I could plug into my old Pioneer receiver that would allow me to stream music from an iPad, etc. I've seen devices that will do this.

TIA

Attachments

• BT RX TX cards.PNG
    BT RX TX cards.PNG
    163.5 KB · Views: 2

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You would use some form of attenuation (volume control) between your headphone output and the BT audio input. This is usually necessary to match the signal level (input) requirement of the BT device which itself will take a VERY LOW level signal (something too small to drive headphones directly).

For stereo operation the 'volume control' would necessarily be a 'dual-gang' device (one gang for each channel). You can also achieve this using fixed resistor and use your BT receiver volume option to decide output level.

JoseK

Nov 29, 2022
I want to use a BlueTooth transmitter/receiver in transmit mode so that I can listen on Bose headphones when I practice guitar (to save everyone else's sanity).

I have a small Pyle PFA330BT amplifier that has a BlueTooth receiver but no transmitter. I has 2 pair of push-type speaker connections. The BT transceiver I bought uses USB for power and a cable with a mini stereo jack. While I could just get an open pigtail to mini jack connector, I might want to get stereo out to listen to music from its RCA aux jacks.

How might I adapt a cable to use both push-type speaker outputs to a single mini jack to plug into the transceiver? I've found dual RCA to mini adapter cables. Would it be feasible to use such a cable; cut off the RCA ends, and use the bare wires in the push-type speaker outputs? Is there a better or more elegant solution? Can push-type connectors in the amplifier be replaced with RCA or banana connectors?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I has 2 pair of push-type speaker connections.
Connect your headphones to these pins.
The BT transceiver I bought uses USB for power and a cable with a mini stereo jack.
Power the transmitter from a USB power source and use an adapter to change the mini stereo plug to 1/4" plug (guitar standard?) and plug it straight into your guitar.

I'm assuming the BT transmitter will be sensitive enough to pick up the guitar signal directly and it should just work.

JoseK

Nov 29, 2022
Thanks for the response. I think I failed to ask my question clearly.

In the example at right in the drawing, the BlueTooth TRx is shown with inputs from the push-type speaker port connections.

Will the analog signal through the speaker wire connections into the Mini jack be processed and converted to BlueTooth radio signals when the device is in "transmit" mode? The device says it will process analog signals. I've made the inference that the speaker signal is an analog signal because speakers are basically not signal processors per se except that they drive the sound cones.

While not pictured, my guitar plugs into a 1/4" jack on the opposite side of the amp/receiver in the drawing.

Attachments

• BT TRx.png
    BT TRx.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 6

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Will the analog signal through the speaker wire connections into the Mini jack be processed and converted to BlueTooth radio signals when the device is in "transmit" mode?
Yes, but severely distorted unless you use an attenuator (volume control) on the speaker output - see post #2