Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heater Repair

MikeF

Jan 1, 2023
Any chance someone could tell me what I'm looking at? This is part of the circuit for a small 110v heater. Power comes in through the top connector, throught the silver component, through what looks like a bi-metal thermal breaker, and then to the switch on the machine. I'm not getting power past the silver component and it's showing an open connection with my ohmeter. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1891.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1891.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 6

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The 'wire-ended' thingy is a thermal fuse. If it's blown (measure across it - if not showing a short circuit then it's blown) - there's little you can do. Replacement fuses are available but you'd have to rivet it in place to achieve the protection it's meant to offer.

It would be irresponsible of me to tell you to simply bypass it....

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Replacements are available and not expensive.
Number on the side should be relative to temperature cut off required.

To replace, cut out faulty unit leaving as much of the existing tails as possible.
Then use the tunnel and screws from a small terminal block (remove from insulated casing) to re-connect to the tails.
Or use dedicated uninsulated electrical crimp links.

MikeF

Jan 1, 2023
thanks. makes total sense. looks like the bimetal breaker must not have trggered. If I clipped out the old one, couldn't I solder in a new fuse?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If I clipped out the old one, couldn't I solder in a new fuse?
No...the heat from the soldering will more than likely exceed the temperature of the device and will destroy the new unit.