Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arduino and 65c02 sync/clock

LilyFathom

Jan 3, 2023
Sorry if the title does not make sense. My cell does not like me or my lenghy words. So I short handed it.

"Is it possible to run a 65c02 on 16mhz?"

Ben Eater says it can be from 1 to 17 mhz. Only problem is the data sheet says maximum 14mhz. If it can reach 16mhz then it might be worth trying with an arduino on the same clock crystal. Perhaps a two inverters to sort of buffer the signal.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
data sheet says maximum 14mhz
14 MHz (not mhz). I'll attribute it to your using a cellphone.

Ben Eater says it can be from 1 to 17 mhz.
Strictly speaking: no.
But: The datasheet specifies guaranteed values. These are usually (but obviously without guarantee) conservative with respect to what the chip can perform in reality. Consider that the spec'd values are valid over a wide range of operating temperatures and variations in supply voltage.
Thus the manufacturer avoids complaints when a part only marginally fullfills teh parameters.
But overclocking on the other hand is also obviously done by hobbyists on a more or less regular basis. Just give it a try.

Care to explain why you would use a 65C02 in addition to an Arduino? Or why you want them to run synchronously from the same clock?

LilyFathom

Jan 3, 2023
Care to explain why you would use a 65C02 in addition to an Arduino? Or why you want them to run synchronously from the same clock?
My cell phone hates me for some reason. As for the clock... The 65c02 or rather the W65c02TPG-14 is to have a small amount of retro in my design. This is my first project with an MPU and I need something easy to get the hang of ASM. Using Arduino is to make possible the connection to UART such as the MIDI protocol. At least... simplify it enough to dedicate a micro controller to relaying the entire message to D-type registers through 595 shift registers.

In short I am designing a computer to be similar to the Fairlight CMI except on similar chips to the Comador PET.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Might be advisable to do a refresher on English first.
Coding can be rather particular.
"Commodore PET"

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Using Arduino is to make possible the connection to UART
This doesn't require synchronous clocks for both µCs. All you do is write the data to be eschanged into a register, then activate a control signal to signal to the other µC that data is ready to be read. Once the data has been read, the other µC signals "ready" and new data can be sent.
Loók up "hardware handshake".