Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB 3.1 gen 1 port wiring for charging

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Hi everyone, I'm building an USB charger with a linear PSU just for hobby and I want to install an USB 3.1 port so it can supply 900 mA max.

If I only connect up the USB 3.1 port VBUS and GND pins, will the device recognize it as USB 2.0?

I'd like to know what I should do with the other five wires, as if I were charging from a computer USB 3.1 port but without the data transfer.

I already know that SMPS will be more efficient, lighter, cooler, but I still want to make it (almost started a fight with a guy in other place), thanks in advance!:D

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I already know that SMPS will be more efficient, lighter, cooler, but I still want to make it (almost started a fight with a guy in other place), thanks in advance
I would say you beat him to the punch.
Welcome to misfit Island!
The term or word "Volts" was named in honor of Alessandro Volta.
And I quote:
You must be ready to give up even the most attractive ideas when experiments show them to be wrong.
-Alessandro Volta.
If you agree to this then... your soul is mine (just kidding) I will help.

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
I would say you beat him to the punch.
Welcome to misfit Island!
The term or word "Volts" was named in honor of Alessandro Volta.
And I quote:
You must be ready to give up even the most attractive ideas when experiments show them to be wrong.
-Alessandro Volta.
If you agree to this then... your soul is mine (just kidding) I will help.
Hahaha best answer possible, this quote makes quite of sense.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Very well,you have already stated that you already know about switch mode power supplies and their capabilities therefore I assume you know a whole lot more! Also to me your cup is already filled with knowledge so if you wish to learn you must empty your cup because you cannot be taught if your cup is full.
Do you agree?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I'm must leave now take your time take a deep breath rethink your question and try to give me all the information you possibly can I'll be back

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Very well,you have already stated that you already know about switch mode power supplies and their capabilities therefore I assume you know a whole lot more! Also to me your cup is already filled with knowledge so if you wish to learn you must empty your cup because you cannot be taught if your cup is full.
Do you agree?
My cup is far from filled, it got plenty of room, I've just started to learn about power supplies and phone charging.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I'll take that as a yes you agree.
Let's get started we'll go linear power supply no more than 900 milliamps at 5 volts. Perhaps a smidge More voltage (smidge)is a scientific word that I just made up. Now I take it (and I mean no offense) that you do not know how to solder, or Read schematics, so we can go modular off the shelf it's going to be money involved I try to provide you options and price ranges and I also try to stay away from Amazon, banggood, and the other one I forget.
it's up to you.The power supply alone is very useful for experimentation and I shall address the other questions you posted as we go along. Others May jump in with sound advice. it is encouraged here.

Last edited:

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
I'll take that as a yes you agree.
Let's get started we'll go linear power supply no more than 900 milliamps at 5 volts. Perhaps a smidge More voltage (smidge)is a scientific word that I just made up. Now I take it (and I mean no offense) that you do not know how to solder, or Read schematics, so we can go modular off the shelf it's going to be money involved I try to provide you options and price ranges and I also try to stay away from Amazon, banggood, and the other one I forget.
it's up to you.The power supply alone is very useful for experimentation and I shall address the other questions you posted as we go along. Others May jump in with sound advice. it is encouraged here.
Hey Delta, I'm attaching a schematic (bad drawing) but I think it's good to understand what I want to do. My goal is to stay around 8V in the input of the 7805 (more or less 0,2V if possible), I've been reading about this and saw somewhere that if short the data pins in the USB 2.0 the device will recognize it as wall charger but the current will be too much for my linear PSU (around 1A or more), the USB 3.1 port got 5 more pins, if I leave them alone the device will recognize as common USB 2.0 port (up to 500mA), right? And I've been searching around the internet to find how I must connect these 5 pins, so the device will "think" it's an USB 3.0 from computer, but still no answer, I want to keep the circuit simple and reliable if possible. Thanks for accepting my project as linear psu.

Attachments

• Projeto fonte.png
    Projeto fonte.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 3

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Nicely done!
I hate to ask this but.
Do you know how to solder?
Also.I have some answers to your questions.
The USB 2.0 has the D+ & D - designation,supporting one-way communication only, along with the ability of charging batteries.
I know you inquired about usb 3.1 Gen 1 just please... stay with me & you'll understand why I'm going to be using the term Gen 2.
USB 3.1 Gen 2 has bi-directional data transfer with an upgrade. "Sleep & Charge or stay on” . They allow the devices like smartphones to keep charging even when the device to which it is connected is turned off, your Laptop for example. How is that possible? Because before your laptop turns off, the smartphone says, "Hey keep charging because my batteries are still low". Then the laptop says, "Okay bye". & turns off. That is bi-directional data transfer.
Now the words I capitalized is not me yelling. I just want to emphasize (make it stand out).
Okay so.. USB 3.0 IS the FIRST generation. USB 3.1 Gen 1. IS the SAME
as USB 3.0. because they improved the first version 3.0 a with second version.
3.1 which is the second generation or 3.1 Gen 2 or USB 3.0 is the same as USB 3.1 Gen 1. The reason for this is that standards must made for the manufacturers so there's interoperability between devices independent of who makes them. If you'd like to read more on the subject here is a reference. Thank you for the schematic it helps immensely. I'll get right on it.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Okay done!
We will be referring to the data sheet to the 7805 we will be getting rid of that fan it will not be needed. Take a look at page 20 figure 14 of the data sheet. I think that circuit will do just nicely given a few modifications. The transformer & circuit board will be assembled in an enclosure and it will be plugged into the mains of your house so there will be portions when testing where it will be very dangerous & please follow my instructions to the letter. You'll do just fine & it will be done safely. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I'll draw it up ,give you a component list then you can go shopping. That is if you do not already have the components or most of them already.

Attachments

• LM7805.pdf
    473 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Also we will not be shorting any wires or leave any connections open. I will be needing to know what types of devices you wish to connect to your power supply that is of the utmost importance. Before we even begin. And we will be beefing up that transformer your linear power supply will literally last you for years to come.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Do not be intimidated by the data sheet of the 7805 and I'll take care of the math.

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Nicely done!
I hate to ask this but.
Do you know how to solder?
Also.I have some answers to your questions.
The USB 2.0 has the D+ & D - designation,supporting one-way communication only, along with the ability of charging batteries.
I know you inquired about usb 3.1 Gen 1 just please... stay with me & you'll understand why I'm going to be using the term Gen 2.
USB 3.1 Gen 2 has bi-directional data transfer with an upgrade. "Sleep & Charge or stay on” . They allow the devices like smartphones to keep charging even when the device to which it is connected is turned off, your Laptop for example. How is that possible? Because before your laptop turns off, the smartphone says, "Hey keep charging because my batteries are still low". Then the laptop says, "Okay bye". & turns off. That is bi-directional data transfer.
Now the words I capitalized is not me yelling. I just want to emphasize (make it stand out).
Okay so.. USB 3.0 IS the FIRST generation. USB 3.1 Gen 1. IS the SAME
as USB 3.0. because they improved the first version 3.0 a with second version.
3.1 which is the second generation or 3.1 Gen 2 or USB 3.0 is the same as USB 3.1 Gen 1. The reason for this is that standards must made for the manufacturers so there's interoperability between devices independent of who makes them. If you'd like to read more on the subject here is a reference. Thank you for the schematic it helps immensely. I'll get right on it.
I'm a truly begginer in soldering, but my father do this since he's younger than me, so he can give me a hand hahahaha
I have no idea about this difference between the generations, I'll surely read this article, thanks.

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Okay done!
We will be referring to the data sheet to the 7805 we will be getting rid of that fan it will not be needed. Take a look at page 20 figure 14 of the data sheet. I think that circuit will do just nicely given a few modifications. The transformer & circuit board will be assembled in an enclosure and it will be plugged into the mains of your house so there will be portions when testing where it will be very dangerous & please follow my instructions to the letter. You'll do just fine & it will be done safely. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I'll draw it up ,give you a component list then you can go shopping. That is if you do not already have the components or most of them already.
Oh, the circuit with two transistors to boost current and prevent short circuit, I've saw a few videos about it on the internet, but still don't get it completely, I already got some parts, the transformer ( I'm not sure if it will handle it, but got some others too, I can replace it if necessary, sadly it doesn't got any data written ), the MOV, thermistor, fuse, heatsink, decoupling and ceramic capacitors, fan. I will be very careful when dealing with everything.

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Also we will not be shorting any wires or leave any connections open. I will be needing to know what types of devices you wish to connect to your power supply that is of the utmost importance. Before we even begin. And we will be beefing up that transformer your linear power supply will literally last you for years to come.
I'm planning to connect smartphones in general, even if they don't charge at full speed.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Oh, the circuit with two transistors to boost current and prevent short circuit, I've saw a few videos about it on the internet, but still don't get it completely, I already got some parts, the transformer ( I'm not sure if it will handle it, but got some others too, I can replace it if necessary, sadly it doesn't got any data written ), the MOV, thermistor, fuse, heatsink, decoupling and ceramic capacitors, fan. I will be very careful when dealing with everything.
Wonderful we will make it with the components you have already what I am going to need to know is exactly what components you have their specifications.For instance the 7805 datasheet is also the specifications for that component. Since you already have them they're probably have numbers and or letters printed on them. I must know that information. Thank you. And we will let your father do the AC portion of it. Or at least be in the room. Again safety is of utmost importance. Thank you.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I'm planning to connect smartphones in general, even if they don't charge at full speed
Just to clarify. The power supply are you connecting(the one we are making right now) to your phone will power the charging circuit within your phone. This circuit will charge your batteries safely. We will not be charging the batteries themselves. We will not be connecting the power supply directly to the battery. I just want to make that clear. You will however be able to use your phone while it is connected to the power supply just like the ones you would buy at the store. But better!

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
the MOV, thermistor, fuse, heatsink, decoupling and ceramic capacitors, fan. I will be very careful when dealing with everything.
I'm sure you will be very careful but it never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes like your fathers eyes.
I did mention that we will not be needing the fan but if you want the fan then that's no problem you got it. Again I will need to know information on all the components you have including the transformer and the fan. I'll keep everything as simple as possible.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I already got some parts, the transformer ( I'm not sure if it will handle it, but got some others too, I can replace it if necessary, sadly it doesn't got any data written
Yes,that is unfortunate,that it has no data written. We will not be using any parts including your transformers that does not have data written on it or you have receipts for (I could care less about the price) only because the receipts would have a description of what you bought. And I am curious to know the make and model of phones you'd like to charge I need to get an idea! Do you have a phone like this:p

1675809618241.png
Just kidding!!

Last edited:

Rachador

Jan 29, 2023
Wonderful we will make it with the components you have already what I am going to need to know is exactly what components you have their specifications.For instance the 7805 datasheet is also the specifications for that component. Since you already have them they're probably have numbers and or letters printed on them. I must know that information. Thank you. And we will let your father do the AC portion of it. Or at least be in the room. Again safety is of utmost importance. Thank you.
I would like to charge my dinosaur (is an Motorola Moto E2), Samsung J5, but also some iPhones (if possible), my ceramic capacitors got the "104" numbers on it, the decoupling capacitor got "394K", the thermistor "_S050M" and "NHS" (there's some number or letter where I put the _ but I can't recognize), MOV 10K201 and here comes one big doubt, my mains here is 127V (I'm from Brazil), I found some datasheet and it says the maximum operating voltage is 130V, this is so damn close, so it's not recommended, right?

The fan is rated for 12V 0,08A,it will run very slow but consume low power too (and maybe it will last forever hahaha), my heatsink came from old LED lamp, the other transformer (not the one that's already in the case) is rated for 15W, but idk its output voltage, maybe I can rewind the secondary if necessary, the case will be some old UHF signal converter (I must admit, these kind of crazy things looks too damn cool to me).

If it's not asking too much I would like some version of the circuit without the transistors too, even if it's not rated for my initial goal (900mA), it can handle less current in that case too, no problem, thanks again for all the support and information you're giving me Delta, that's way more than I expected.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-07 at 21.36.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-07 at 21.36.55.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
  • D_NQ_NP_670080-MLB49387636444_032022-W.jpg
    D_NQ_NP_670080-MLB49387636444_032022-W.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4