Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Marcraft SE-1016 datasheet or manual needed

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
I have acquired a vintage Marcraft SE-1016 kit, it is missing the instructions for what components to install, the silkscreen on the board only says R1, R2... The list that links the values of the components to the callouts is missing. Googling has only led to old ebay listing of sales of the same kit, but no luck on the documents. I believe originally a workbook would guide the build first on a bradbord then installed on the PCB. Hopeing anyone has some in site to vintage documentation. The attached image is for a transistor radio kit by Marcraft I think the book for SE-1016 would be similar looking, but I am hitting dead ends on my googleing.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 2

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
Hello,

As it is a RC kit, perhaps a RC forum might help:

Bertus
Yes this is an electronic kit that makes an R/C car. But in the world between R/C cars and electronic kits, I felt this on landed more on the electronic hobbies world. Reading the other Marcraft kit instruction books (like the one for the transistor radio), the first step would be to populate a breadboard and make observation about how the circuits work. The final step it to build the car (and to be fair it would be a sub-par RC car). The fun will be in seeing how the circuits work, populating the PCB and seeing it work. The image attached (from the radio kit) is what the "car" would look like. Thanks for the link, I will try that forum also.

Attachments

• s-l1600_1.jpg
    s-l1600_1.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 4

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
On the antiques radio forum there is an image of the complete kit showing the components mounted on a cardboard strip - does that strip still exist and, if so, does it show any markings on it?

Alternatively, post the schematic you have and a list of all the parts and we can, by process of elimination, populate the board.

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
Yes this is an electronic kit that makes an R/C car. But in the world between R/C cars and electronic kits, I felt this on landed more on the electronic hobbies world. Reading the other Marcraft kit instruction books (like the one for the transistor radio), the first step would be to populate a breadboard and make observation about how the circuits work. The final step it to build the car (and to be fair it would be a sub-par RC car). The fun will be in seeing how the circuits work, populating the PCB and seeing it work. The image attached (from the radio kit) is what the "car" would look like. Thanks for the link, I will try that forum also.
I found an image of the manual, the cover is yellow not red. looks like it was sold on ebay at some point.

Attachments

• vintage-marcraft-se-1016-c-sports-car_1_9eb058279913c2a3f9b97d9b0bedcf40.jpg
    vintage-marcraft-se-1016-c-sports-car_1_9eb058279913c2a3f9b97d9b0bedcf40.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
On the antiques radio forum there is an image of the complete kit showing the components mounted on a cardboard strip - does that strip still exist and, if so, does it show any markings on it?

Alternatively, post the schematic you have and a list of all the parts and we can, by process of elimination, populate the board.
all the parts are there, they are only labeled with the values (100 ohm, 1K ...) on the breadboard and PCB they are labeled R1, R2, C1, C2 ... The list that links component value to PCB lable is missing.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
all the parts are there, they are only labeled with the values (100 ohm, 1K ...) on the breadboard and PCB they are labeled R1, R2, C1, C2 ... The list that links component value to PCB lable is missing.
Yes, but, armed with the component values AND the schematic we're quite good at figuring out what goes where so post them up and let us have a shot!

It may even be that the components are in order of insertion i.e. first on the card is R1, second is R2 etc - we'll easily figure this out with the details I've requested of you.

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
Yes, but, armed with the component values AND the schematic we're quite good at figuring out what goes where so post them up and let us have a shot!

It may even be that the components are in order of insertion i.e. first on the card is R1, second is R2 etc - we'll easily figure this out with the details I've requested of you.
sounds like a plan, i'll document what I have and post it. and we can see where it goes from there.

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
sounds like a plan, i'll document what I have and post it. and we can see where it goes from there.
Attached are all the parts in the order they are on the cardboard along with the PCBs (top and bottom).

Attachments

• parts_loose.png
    parts_loose.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PCB_silk.png
    PCB_silk.png
    529.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PCB_bottom.png
    PCB_bottom.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 6
  • parts_sheet3.png
    parts_sheet3.png
    291.5 KB · Views: 7
  • parts_sheet2.png
    parts_sheet2.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 7
  • parts_sheet1.png
    parts_sheet1.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 7

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
And here are the schematics.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600_1.jpg
    s-l1600_1.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 6

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
Update.
Attached is an image of the car body showing the connections to the steering and drive motor. I have confirmed that the color coding on the wires matches the schematic call-outs, so I know the link between the holes with letters and what wire to connect.
I found an error in the parts sheet 3, I ploaded earler, I had missed counted some transistors.
And lastly, I recreated the PCB silk screen for both PCBs so it is legible.

I am still working on what parts go ware, I found on antique radio forum someone posted a parts list (that links the R1, R2... to X ohms, y ohms...) for a Marcraft radio kit, the problem I see is that that list shows that the order of components on the cardboard do not necessarily follow the order of PCB call-outs (R1, R2...). So I don't know if I can rely on assuming that components follow a pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_120947070.jpg
    IMG_20230119_120947070.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 2
  • parts_sheet3.png
    parts_sheet3.png
    312.5 KB · Views: 2
  • receiver_PCB_SE-1016.png
    receiver_PCB_SE-1016.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 2
  • transmitter_PCB_SE-1016.png
    transmitter_PCB_SE-1016.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 2

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
Update.
Attached is an image of the car body showing the connections to the steering and drive motor. I have confirmed that the color coding on the wires matches the schematic call-outs, so I know the link between the holes with letters and what wire to connect.
I found an error in the parts sheet 3, I ploaded earler, I had missed counted some transistors.
And lastly, I recreated the PCB silk screen for both PCBs so it is legible.

I am still working on what parts go ware, I found on antique radio forum someone posted a parts list (that links the R1, R2... to X ohms, y ohms...) for a Marcraft radio kit, the problem I see is that that list shows that the order of components on the cardboard do not necessarily follow the order of PCB call-outs (R1, R2...). So I don't know if I can rely on assuming that components follow a pattern.
Doing my best to identify the transistors, I have identified the P-type and N-type. One interesting thing, the data sheet I found say all the transistors are 1675890326109.png, but when I compare the schematic to the PCB and follow the traces the silk screen appears to be flipped. The flat side on the silkscreen is on the wrong side. unless this means the transistor was meant to be mounted on the bottom , but that does not make sense as soldering would be difficult.1675890633848.png

rckitmaker

Jan 11, 2023
Doing my best to identify the transistors, I have identified the P-type and N-type. One interesting thing, the data sheet I found say all the transistors are View attachment 57935, but when I compare the schematic to the PCB and follow the traces the silk screen appears to be flipped. The flat side on the silkscreen is on the wrong side. unless this means the transistor was meant to be mounted on the bottom , but that does not make sense as soldering would be difficult.View attachment 57936
I am still having no luck finding anyone who has seen the Knowledge Transfer Project Book (KTPB). I have even reached out to several sellers on Ebay that were selling copies of the Marcraft Radio KTPB. They are checking their collocations of manuals to see if they have them, so far the best I found was one seller who has the same kit I do, but also only has the schematics.