Maker Pro
Maker Pro

lg tv backlight is working weird

majkel86

Feb 26, 2023
I’ve got 55’ lg tv (model 55lw5600) and it recently stopped showing anything. the reason is backlight LEDs but im not sure if its led tapes itself or something in motheboard that is responsible for LED backlight.
starting screen (big logo) is backlighted normally but after 3 seconds its completly shut down. (rest of tv working fine, under da flashlight i can see what screen shows. audio is fine too)

if im not using tv for a while it can light the backlight for maybe 10 minutes and light shuts down

im finally not sure if LED strips got burn or some backlight hardware is damaged

for what i should look for?

[tv startup try](https://filmy.elektroda.pl/59_1677177183.mp4)

(video that showing the behavior of tv when i tru to turn it on)

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
what i should I look for?
Best answer: A new TV.

New TVs are now so inexpensive its probably not worth the time and effort to repair.

With that said, you could the check the voltage from the LED driver circuit (when working) and try hooking up an external power supply with limited current.
For example hook up 30v and slowly increase current until the LED strips light up.
This will isolate whether it's a led problem or a driver problem.

Replacing Led backlites are not fun.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
55’? Surely you mean 55”?.
It sounds like a thermal issue. Check for dry/cracked solder joints.
Check the electrolytics too while you have it open.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Dud LED is my guess. Replacing one means fitting a new 'strip' - and they are commonly left-hand/right-hand keyed so make sure you get the right one. That said, taking a set apart to fit one is no mean feat - scary at times too as you have to handle the full sized LCD panel (bare) in many cases. One slip and...........