Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using an Antique Rheostat to Send a 0 - 3.3V Signal

Ascerb1

Mar 9, 2023
Hi,

I am trying to use an antique rheostat to send a 0-3.3V signal to an AdaFruit Metro M0 Express. The signal will be used to control the lights in my bedroom, specifically the brightness. The 0-3.3V will corollate to 0-100% brightness which will be transmitted to my lights through WiFi. I have attached a schematic and picture of the Rheostat. The blue lines are internal to the rheostat and the black line are wiring that I will be using to connect the rheostat to the Metro. The resistors are shown at 100 Ohms but I can swap them out if necessary. The rheostat is basically a series of resistors with contacts between them - you turn the knob on top to connect to the contacts. Per my schematic there are 4 points/wires that I need to connect to the Metro (A through D). I have attached the pinout for the Metro. My questions are: Is what I am planning to do doable? If so, how do I connect the points (A through D) to the Metro to get the 0-3.3V signal?

Attachments

• Rheostat.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Rheostat.jpeg
    Rheostat.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Adafruit_Metro_M0_Express_Pinout.png
    Adafruit_Metro_M0_Express_Pinout.png
    680.9 KB · Views: 5

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Point C connects to 0V
Point D connects to 3.3V
Point A connects your Adafruit Analogue input port (your choice depending on the coding used).

Point B is irrelevant - doesn't need to be connected.

Ascerb1

Mar 9, 2023
Point C connects to 0V
Point D connects to 3.3V
Point A connects your Adafruit Analogue input port (your choice depending on the coding used).

Point B is irrelevant - doesn't need to be connected.
Thanks, this is a big help.