Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NAD CD player mechanical CD loading issue

tom1970

Aug 23, 2021
Hi everyone. Just acquired a NAD C521i CD player which has a variable fault. When the tray closes the laser assembly gets pushed up as it should but its not clasping the CD properly so you can hear the motor that spins the CD (is it called the 'turntable motor'?) spinning but it is not actually spinning the disc - just slipping underneath. It looks like its kind of misaligned very slightly but I can't work out why. Any ideas on what could be the problem?
When it grabs properly (about 10% of the time) it spins and the laser is reading the disc no problem. So everything else looks good.
I have experience with guitar valve amps but have only fixed a few CD players (with different issues) so this is not one of my strengths! I have the service manual but it doesn't seem to address this issue.
Should the chucking pulley/plate area above the CD be lubricated?
Thanks in advance.
Tom, UK.

tom1970

Aug 23, 2021
Hi everyone. Just acquired a NAD C521i CD player which has a variable fault. When the tray closes the laser assembly gets pushed up as it should but its not clasping the CD properly so you can hear the motor that spins the CD (is it called the 'turntable motor'?) spinning but it is not actually spinning the disc - just slipping underneath. It looks like its kind of misaligned very slightly but I can't work out why. Any ideas on what could be the problem?
When it grabs properly (about 10% of the time) it spins and the laser is reading the disc no problem. So everything else looks good.
I have experience with guitar valve amps but have only fixed a few CD players (with different issues) so this is not one of my strengths! I have the service manual but it doesn't seem to address this issue.
Thanks in advance.
Tom, UK.ys
Actually, I've just looked at it again and the issue seems to be that the laser assembly is not getting pushed up by the gear mechanism when the tray closes. I think possibly the belt has become too weak so I'm going to try replacing that and see if it fixes it. I'll let you guys know what happens. Bit of a faff to get the actual drive out of the unit but I managed it last night. Cheers

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Definitely not. On the contrary. I've had success resolving a similar issue by wiping the plate that spins the CD and the opposite plate that carries a weight (to press the Cd onto the rotating first plate) with denaturated spirit and a soft cloth or cotton swab to remove any residues. Then the CD was picked up again as it should.

tom1970

Aug 23, 2021
Definitely not. On the contrary. I've had success resolving a similar issue by wiping the plate that spins the CD and the opposite plate that carries a weight (to press the Cd onto the rotating first plate) with denaturated spirit and a soft cloth or cotton swab to remove any residues. Then the CD was picked up again as it should.
Thanks dude. I replaced the belt and now it seems to be grabbing fine and spinning every timne. The laser seems a little bit weak and is not reading certain tracks on certain discs so at some point I will replace the laser assembly. I tried cleaning the lens but to no avail!