Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MP3-TF-16P player connected with relay

Holz1

Jul 19, 2022
Hello fellow-users
I have a question about the so called MP3-TF-player with 16 pins.
MP3-TF-16P V1.jpg

This player can play mp3 sounds/music from an enclosed micro sd card and it is run on +3.3-+5 Volts dc.
Internet is loaded with tutorials of this player in conjunction with ARDUINO.

I am NOT looking for solutions with ARDUINO but only for use as STANDALONE.

The switching ON/OFF is over GND pin 10 and pin 12/13 ADKEY 1 and/or ADKEY 2 by small pushpins and resistors. VCC is connected to power rail and ON requires less than 1mA (0.14mA)

It operates flawlessly but the problem is when I like to operate it by means of a DPDT relay, a mono stable relay or Bistable relay.
For instance the connection with a DPDT relay such as HK19F 5VDC and a simple push button (PB)
DPDT-Switch-Internal-Structure.pngpushbutton.jpg
To switch this relay, the connections are as follows:
( I start with the pins of the relay)
PIN 1 and 8 connected with a "fly-back" diode
PB IN connected to GND-rail
PB OUT pin 1 GND
PIN 2 (common) is connected with GND-rail
PIN 4 (NO) is connected with GND PIN 10 and PIN 12 ADKEY1 of the player

PIN 8 is connected with +5Volt rail
Pin 7 (common) is connected with +5V rail
Pin 5 (NO) is connected with PIN 1 VCC of player.
So, when the relay is activated, de UPPER side of the relay will switch from NC pin 6 to NO pin 5 and is connected to +5Volt
The LOWER side will switch from NC pin 3 to pin 4 (NO) and connected to GND rail

Simple I thought !

IT IS NOT WORKING!!!!
It is only working when I disconnect the GND pin of player (pin 10) and connect this pin again with GND and only when VCC PIN 1 is directly connected to +5 Volt-rail and not through pin 7 (common).

RARARA? what is wrong??
NB: I have tested the relay on functioning with leds and motors. So, the relay is oké!
Can somebody help me??

Thanks in advance
regards
Henry

Attachments

• DPDT-Relay-Pinout.png
    DPDT-Relay-Pinout.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 0

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Maybe an issue with the MP3 module not being happy with the contact bounce from the relay?
It is not necessary to switch both GND and Vcc. Connect GND directly, switch only Vcc. Possibly add an electrolytic capacitor (10 µF to 100 µF, whatever you have at hand) between the Vcc and GND pins of the MPO3 module to soften the remaining bounce of the supply voltage.

BTW: you could use the pushbutton directly to turn Vcc on and off, no need for an intermediate relay.

Holz1

Jul 19, 2022
Maybe an issue with the MP3 module not being happy with the contact bounce from the relay?
It is not necessary to switch both GND and Vcc. Connect GND directly, switch only Vcc. Possibly add an electrolytic capacitor (10 µF to 100 µF, whatever you have at hand) between the Vcc and GND pins of the MPO3 module to soften the remaining bounce of the supply voltage.

BTW: you could use the pushbutton directly to turn Vcc on and off, no need for an intermediate relay.
THANKS.
I require a relay. I am using the MP3 in connection with model rail level crossing signals. When model train is entering an infrared gate sector the andreas lights will be turned on, the bell (MP3 module) is started and level crossing booms will be lowered. After having left the level crossing area, the lights will be turned off, the bell is stopped and the booms are lifted. So the IR gates will trigger not only the lights and relays with motors connected for the booms, but also the relay for the sound.
I hope this will clarify my request.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
O.K., still switching Vcc only is sufficient.
Alternatively, keep the MP3 moduel permanently connected to Vcc and gnd, onöy activate one of the ADDKEY_1/2 inputs to activate the sound. The module descriptin should show how to use these.

Holz1

Jul 19, 2022
O.K., still switching Vcc only is sufficient.
Alternatively, keep the MP3 moduel permanently connected to Vcc and gnd, onöy activate one of the ADDKEY_1/2 inputs to activate the sound. The module descriptin should show how to use these.
the culprit is the ADKEY. It is not working.
1680180864930.png

What I have done successively:
1. I have connected 100uF/50V between VCC (PIN 1) and GND (PIN 10) of the player.
VCC (pin 1) to relay Pin 5 (NO)
ADkey 1 connected to GND rail.
NOT WORKING!
as control I connected a led with resistor.
2. VCC pin direct to +V , ADKEY to GND.
player starts immediately. Disconnect +V and inserting again in +V; it doesn't start. It starts ONLY after the ADKEY connection is pulled out and inserted again in the GND rail.

On both sides of the relay pin 5 and pin 4 there is no action when PB is pushed whereas the LED is burning on pushing PB. So relay works.
The ADKEY requires i.m.o. a hard RESET

3. I inserted a diode between pin 6 (Anode) and 5 (Cathode) to see if there is something wrong but the player started as if connected to common pin 7. On pin 6 without diode it starts also but both ways require HARD reset of ADkey

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Personally I can't be bothered to decipher the 'description' of how it's connected. If you draw an actual schematic of your arrangement it would be far easier to understand.

Holz1

Jul 19, 2022
Personally I can't be bothered to decipher the 'description' of how it's connected. If you draw an actual schematic of your arrangement it would be far easier to understand.
Maybe you have the solution how to connect a MP3 dfplayer to a dpdt relay ( so it saves me a lot of drawing).

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You need to read the datasheet of the module, especially the timing section. I once used a similafr module where the action was not started by the "ADDKEY" (in quotes as my module was as far as I can remember labeled differently) inputs being low or high but by the transition from high (open pushbutton with a pull-up resistor on the module) to low (pushbutton to gnd) closed.
Maybe you have the solution how to connect a MP3 dfplayer to a dpdt relay ( so it saves me a lot of drawing).
No, the question was for you to show us how you made the connections in a picture (schematic).

Holz1

Jul 19, 2022
Oké, you win! Here is the drawing and it is working. I have tested it this afternoon. I also posted it on Youtuub.
Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• HFD05 of HKF19 MP3 player.png
    HFD05 of HKF19 MP3 player.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 8

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Might pay to check if the module has any built in level shifting.

Holz1

Jul 19, 2022
You need to read the datasheet of the module, especially the timing section. I once used a similafr module where the action was not started by the "ADDKEY" (in quotes as my module was as far as I can remember labeled differently) inputs being low or high but by the transition from high (open pushbutton with a pull-up resistor on the module) to low (pushbutton to gnd) closed.

No, the question was for you to show us how you made the connections in a picture (schematic).
So Kellys-Eyes, are you frozen down in Scotland? No more reaction from your side? I made the drawing than I may xpect your findings
("Personally I can't be bothered to decipher the 'description' )
Is this the way you handle all the topic starters, from what I have seen in this forum?