Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed in connecting coin slot mech to usb joystic controller power for triggering game start

Timg

Jul 10, 2021
Hey all!

I've had a half finished project given to me for a larger project I'm working on,

Long story short, we have a custom game running on pc with inputs from a usb joystick controller board (controls & game work fine)

We have a 12v coin slot that we want to use to start the game, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire up the signal cables.

I have added images of the parts used but I'm struggling to find any useful information on how to wire up the two.

I have relays at my disposal but the coin slot isn't registering on my multimeter as outputting any voltage and nothing on continuity test so I'm unsure how it works.

From an indistructables page it shows how to wire it up to an Arduino however this setup doesn't utilise an Arduino or pi.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tia!

Tim

(Edit) the 2 pins from the button (input) on the usb joystick outputs 5v to close the circuit to register the button stroke.

Attachments

• PXL_20230417_132532143.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230417_132532143.MP.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230417_132536633.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230417_132536633.MP.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 4
  • FKQM8PYKVMEHVH7.png
    FKQM8PYKVMEHVH7.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 4
  • zero-delay-arcade-usb-encoder-wire-set-the-pi-hut-103202-7008759251006_1000x.jpg
    zero-delay-arcade-usb-encoder-wire-set-the-pi-hut-103202-7008759251006_1000x.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 5

feckwithtech

Dec 30, 2017
when a coin is inserted does counter register ?
if so why not try connecting counter wire or coin wire to one side of button (try both sides of button) so coin counter closes the switch on pad instead of button press ? just a guess tho

feckwithtech

Dec 30, 2017
power the coin slot with 12v then you should get voltage on coin or counter when coin drops in which would be what you conect to usb button

charly2choo

Apr 25, 2023
Hey all!

I've had a half finished project given to me for a larger project I'm working on,

Long story short, we have a custom game running on pc with inputs from a usb joystick controller board (controls & game work fine)

We have a 12v coin slot that we want to use to start the game, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire up the signal cables.

I have added images of the parts used but I'm struggling to find any useful information on how to wire up the two.

I have relays at my disposal but the coin slot isn't registering on my multimeter as outputting any voltage and nothing on continuity test so I'm unsure how it works.

From an indistructables page it shows how to wire it up to an Arduino however this setup doesn't utilise an Arduino or pi.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tia!

Tim

(Edit) the 2 pins from the button (input) on the usb joystick outputs 5v to close the circuit to register the button stroke. read more for games of chances and money
Hey Tim, have you tried testing it with a different multimeter or a different coin? It could be that the coin slot isn't functioning properly (in which case you might need to replace it).
*One thing to keep in mind is that you'll probably need to use a relay to connect the coin slot to your game. That's because the coin slot likely uses a different voltage than your game's joystick controller board...

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
With a set of no-volts contacts you simply determine whether the micro port is a pull-up or pull-down (usually) input then connect the contacts to the port via a resistor from the supply rail to ground.

Google 'pull-up' and/or 'pull-down' for more details.