Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help to remove a Planar Transformer from Circuit Board.

QTechy#7

Oct 5, 2019
Hi guys,
I need help with Planar Transformer techniques to remove from the Circuit Board of a Power Supply. As you can see at the attached photo there is at least one burned out pin and maybe further damage underneath. All comments and advices are welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• Short circuit on Planar Transformer Circuit.jpg
    Short circuit on Planar Transformer Circuit.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 5

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If true planar, removal impossible as windings would be part of the pcb, difficult to say with your photo.
Why not resolder the pin or run a jumper cable and move on?

QTechy#7

Oct 5, 2019
Thnks for your quick help. I've just removed the phototransistor and the transformer bottom half core bonding line with the Circuit Board can be seen in detail in the attached photo.

Attachments

• Planar Transformer Circuit (right to left view).jpg
    Planar Transformer Circuit (right to left view).jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 4

QTechy#7

Oct 5, 2019
I've just released the Transformer by carefully pryiing out while applying isopropyl alcohol. Then a few minutes waiting and component will easily be unbonded. Fully successful technique with no damage to the Circuit Board and Planar Transformer too. I hope the photos helps everybody when dealing with similar problems. Thanks again for your comments.Pryiing out while applying isopropyl alcohol.jpg

Attachments

• Planar Transformer Circuit safely removed..jpg
    Planar Transformer Circuit safely removed..jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Clear RTV or Silicone debris after releasing Transformer.jpg
    Clear RTV or Silicone debris after releasing Transformer.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 2

QTechy#7

Oct 5, 2019
Watch that air bubble in the syringe ."just kidding " what percentage isopropyl alcohol please!
Only 2 or 3 cc and let wetting a few minutes. Then carefully and slowly prying out the Transformer released from the PCB as you can see at the photo.