Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing LED driver for shop light

Boygenius

May 24, 2023
I have a standard 4' long LED shop light. One day, on start up, it hissed and smoke curled out of the fixture. Pulling it apart, I discovered some component on the driver circuit board had burned up, leaving a large crusty black crater. I'm lead to believe that this driver can be replaced with a wall wart of suitable output. There's the rub. The only text on the circuit board that refers to output voltage says "Output: 72VDC .55A". Can this be right? I don't even know what kind of device would use a transformer that outputs 72VDC. Could this be a misprint? Maybe 7.2VDC? It would be easier to trash the shop light and just save the LED strips for another use but I'd like to fix this as a way to learn a new skill. What are the chances I can find a suitable wall wart for this repair?

Attachments

• 20230524_164323[1].jpg
    20230524_164323[1].jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 3

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Output: 72VDC
Sounds about right....even the small round oyster LED lights run up around 50 to 60v dc.

As far as repairing, forget it.
Even if you could track down a new driver, it would cost you more than the whole completely new fitting.
These manufacturers are not stupid.
Repair driver...maybe, but you would be the first to even bother let alone succeed.

Get a new fitting and dump the rest.

Boygenius

May 24, 2023
Sounds about right....even the small round oyster LED lights run up around 50 to 60v dc.

As far as repairing, forget it.
Even if you could track down a new driver, it would cost you more than the whole completely new fitting.
Repair driver...maybe, but you would be the first to even bother let alone succeed.

Get a new fitting and dump the rest.
Right, but it's not about being cost effective. It's about learning something new. I've seen these shop lights repaired using wall warts so I wouldn't be the first to do it. I just have never seen a wall wart rated at 72VDC. Wasn't sure if such an animal existed.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Right, but it's not about being cost effective. It's about learning something new.
Waste of time as you'll only learn it is just that " a waste of time".
These things are not made to be repaired.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
never seen a wall wart rated at 72VDC
Learning already..........:rolleyes:
Thing is, I've heard this excuse before and it just doesn't cut it.
You'll be fooling around with mains supply to begin with which will see you (or worse some other family member) pushing up daisies as you are obviously inexperienced.
Best advice is bin it and get a qualified lecky to fit a new one.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Not really. You said it yourself and then there was one. That's me.
Stupid is what stupid does that's me too. If you have 3 old laptop power supplies hanging around that would work because they have isolated outputs that means you can connect them in series or parallel, maybe 20 to 24 volts for one laptop power supply put three together in series if you have that many it'll be the simplest way. I know I've done it like 7 years ago. At a half an amp still going strong. But like a Wall wart he'd have to plug in three to a power strip. And that takes up space