Maker Pro
Maker Pro

1/4 hp lathe motor only runs slowly and won't reverse switch since I overloaded it.

David Aungier

Sep 4, 2017
Hi,I tried to engage the saddle drive via the lead screw on a second hand lathe I just bought but because the nut securing the winding wheel on the end of the screw was too tight I think the thing was jammed and so I overloaded the motor. I tried to start the motor a few times before I realized what was going on. Following this I removed the drive belts and started the motor without any load on it. the end product is that the motor will start but only runs slowly and doesn't have enough torque to turn the belts and chuck even with the gear train disconnected.Also I have noticed that the motor only goes in one direction now no matter which button I press on the switch box. I checked the wires behind the inspection plate on the motor (ok). The motor has a capacitor . I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me, regards David.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Did you witness it reverse and/or run at full speed before this incident?

David Aungier

Sep 4, 2017
Yes, it turns easily by hand, starts on the button but turns slowly and it did run at speed in both directions before, thanks.

dssokhey

Sep 8, 2017
Try replacing the capacitor. Looks like the symptoms of a defective cap.