Maker Pro
Maker Pro

1000W Pump + Shelly Relay - will it be safe?

maker_yizmycmy_1663233032

Sep 15, 2022
Hey guys,

I'm planning on setting up a 1000W(230V AC) pump in my garden.
pump.png

To control it remotely (Pi) I want to use the Shelly Pro 4Pm. (40A - 16A on each) (wireless relay)

1663233638137.png
1663233818461.png

My question as a programmer but not an electrician is, if these two will work safely together?

my concern is:
The pump draws to much and fries the circuit.

And by the way: it should be okay to cut the ac plug wire from the pump open to feed the wire to the relay, right?

Attachments

• 1663233728587.png
    1663233728587.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 1

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I expect this unit would cost quite a few dollars.
A couple of aspects in the instructions I'd be concerned with.

Appears to be a four pole device which is fine, only need to switch the active of the motor so just one pole required.
If it was a standard run-of-the-mill contactor that was down a bit on maximum current rating, one could use all four poles or any number in between.
I doubt this possible with this electronic type device.

However it does say care must be taken to ensure mains power is removed as a voltage can still exist when switches on the input are off.
This could mean any number of things.

Maximum current monitoring can be set from 1w to 4480w.
With a motor, they tend to draw 4 to 6 times full load current at startup.
Being an electronic device, it could detect this "larger than normal run current" load as an overload and you may never get the thing to work.

Says also snubbers must be used of a particular size on any inductive load (which is what motors are) so I dare say NOT initially intended for motors.
One could use your device to switch a standard contactor (again with a snubber) BUT it would be an overkill and something more appropriate should be available.

Lastly, any LAN cable used in conjunction with this device should be a mains rated LAN cable and plug, not your standard everyday cat 5 or cat 6 network cable.