Maker Pro
Maker Pro

110 to 12 volts reduction help

Andrew Miller

Oct 15, 2015
I need to know the easiest and cheapest way to reduce a 110 plug to a 12 VDC output. Right now I am using phone charges for my project, but I want to build my own boxes with the proper circutry inside for the reduction. Thank you!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
On the first hand, I very much doubt you will build anything as cheaply as you can buy a commercially available product.
On the other side is the fact it would also be far safer, as 110v can be very dangerous in inexperienced hands.

Andrew Miller

Oct 15, 2015
I can use a phone charger to do what I want to do, but I can't call it "my" product. I want to be able to build and sell the item as my own. I have lots of experience with electricity and putting tofether circuit boards, as I did it for World Industries, as long as I have what I need to do the job. It's figuring out what I need that is the problem.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
In most countries, putting together and selling anything associated with mains supply requires appropriate licencing and qualifications.
In many instances, rather costly to accomodate which is why I suggested the commercially available product.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I have lots of experience with electricity and putting tofether circuit boards
But obviously not the experience required to design a power supply, less so a safe one.
There's nothing wrong with using an off the shelf power supply. Many commercial products use power supplie sthat the manufacturer simply buys and fits to his design. Consider putting a DC plug in your device and simply sell a suitable power supply with it.

Andrew Miller

Oct 15, 2015
All you guys have to say is you don't know. I don't need a lecture or advice on rules and regulations. I am looking for an answer to a specific question. If you can't provide an answer to that question then please move on. Maybe I joined the wrong forum.

Andrew Miller

Oct 15, 2015
Well thank you but I know the rules, regulations and safety as I have been building this item and selling it for 3 years. I am just looking for a way to do it myself so I can call it mine and not Samsung using their power supplies.

Andrew Miller

Oct 15, 2015
I can get chargers all day long on eBay for 99 cents and use them, but I want the product to be mine and hand made even if it means a few more dollars as I am making 15 dollars for the price of 1.25 to make it, a can afford to put some money into it. I wouldn't think the components inside of a 99 cent charger would be too much more than the actual charger. I can solder it and build it, iI just need to know the names of the components inside to do so.

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
I can get chargers all day long on eBay for 99 cents and use them, but I want the product to be mine and hand made even if it means a few more dollars as I am making 15 dollars for the price of 1.25 to make it, a can afford to put some money into it. I wouldn't think the components inside of a 99 cent charger would be too much more than the actual charger. I can solder it and build it, iI just need to know the names of the components inside to do so.
if you are ever uncertain about how to make a simple circuit that uses 110v or 240v than i wouldnt really reccomend making it, especially if you are going to sell it to people.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
iI just need to know the names of the components inside to do so.
You would also need a schematic how the components have to be connected and you need to know the rules how to mount and connect them so the circuit is safe. You could find heaps of circuit diagrams for a simple 12V power supply on the internet or in hobbyist books and magazines. Many of them are fine for personal use. But making a power supply and selling it to the public is another story.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am making 15 dollars for the price of 1.25 to make it, a can afford to put some money into it

the same argument says that trucking companies should still for and refine their own fuel, make their own tyres, etc.

tool find that inside almost any electronic device running from the mains is a power supply made by a third party.

there's got to be a reason for that.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Andrew
just seeing these comments from you makes us all on here realise that you don't really understand the basics
you will be lucky if you could source all the parts for $20 - 30. Then on to of that you will have you cost of time building them ... they are going to end up costing $50 just to make before you even add on a profit margin.

You need to understand that power supplies for a buck each are made by the 10's of 1000's in some 3rd world country
where worker wages are not much better than slave conditions. And because the manufacturer is making them in such bulk, they can source all the parts in bulk orders that give them very cheap component prices..
and many of those cheapo products are total crap!!!

All this is before you pay the huge costs for UL, CE and other certification testing. and public liability insurance ... just in case one of your products burns a building down and maybe also causing deaths or injuries

On the forum here, we are all about helping people achieve their electronic goals. But unfortunately, occasionally some don't listen to the good advice. If you fall into that category, then there is very little any of us can do to help you, as none of us want to become complicit in activities that could involve lawsuits etc

If you want to do that on your on, go for it :) its your choice and problem :)

regards
Dave

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
I can get chargers all day long on eBay for 99 cents and use them, ... I wouldn't think the components inside of a 99 cent charger would be too much more than the actual charger.

Another indicator of your unfamiliarity with the real world of electronic circuit production. There is an enormous difference between making 10 pieces per day and making 5 million pieces per day. The world consumes over 1 billion small battery chargers per year. The term "economies of scale" doesn't begin to describe the price distortion that happens when you are producing 50 assembled and tested units every second of every day, 24/7/365.

To answer your question, a small linear power supply (fuse, transformer, rectifier, capacitor, regulator) will be the best combination of parts cost and design/prototype/test time.

ak

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
All this is before you pay the huge costs for UL, CE and other certification testing. and public liability insurance ... just in case one of your products burns a building down and maybe also causing deaths or injuries
This is the first thing that popped into my mind. Get some quotes on getting those certifications done (and maybe redone if you aren't perfect the first time) and see how that fits into your business plan.

What people are trying to say is that the stuff you're asking for is by far the easiest part of all of this. If you can't do the easiest part yourself then there's little chance that you'll be able to do all of the difficult parts safely. Designing for safety (or even understanding the requirements) is a whole different thing than other types of circuit design. You almost need an expert just to interpret the UL/CE requirements. Given that there's a potential for serious injury or death if if isn't done right you can see why no one is willing to give you what you're asking for.