Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12 volt DC lamp flasher.

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
I am looking to build a motorcycle dash indicator lamp flasher. It will be used to indicate a no oil pressure warning light.
The motorcycle already has a warning lamp in the speedo for a low oil level. The low oil level lamp illuminates when the float in the oil sump grounds. I tied into the low oil level lamp and am using a pressure switch which grounds when there is no oil pressure.
The circuit will have to be in series between the lamp and the ground. The lamp draws less than 10ma.
I have searched the internet with no luck. A normal blinker flasher will not work because of the low amperage the lamp will draw.
I appreciate any input to this project.
Thanks MrModify

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
Thanks (*steve*) assembled on my bread board and played with changing a few componets. Going to fit the bil! Going to build it on a pc board and then seal the board some kind of way.

Thanks again all!!!

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
Evening all, I spoke wrong on the 10ma. The bulb in the bike is actually a 117ma bulb. (1.4w @12v)
I have the circuit working on a 10 ma bulb but the 117ma bulb won't light.
I am assuming I will need larger componets. 1/2w resistors maybe and larger transistors.
What transistors will I need to look for?

Thank John

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
Figure 1 from (*steve*) post.

Tried to copy and paste and to save image and upload but neither worked.

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
Got it, Thanks again here is what I wound up doing.

Attachments

• Oil Pressure Circuit.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 69

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
link does not work.

Wondering why you don't just use a flashing LED ?
Supply from ignition switch and parallel to your existing oil warning lamp.
Basically, oil pressure low switch turns on the LED.

Attachments

• AddLED.jpg
    AddLED.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
I thought of that and would have been very easy but I did not want to drill any holes or modify the instrument cluster.

The bike has one big speedo and 4 lights, Oil, Turn, brights, & Blinkers.

This circuit parallels the OEM oil circuit which is only oil level not pressure. I am using the same light. Blinking is oil pressure and constant on is level.

When key is turned on the light comes on for 3 seconds then flashes till bike is started.

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
Previous download would not open

Attachments

• Oil Pressure Circuit.gif
    Oil Pressure Circuit.gif
    9 KB · Views: 89

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Sorry but I can't see your circuit working at all.
Am I to assume correctly that what you have written in#12 is what you want, and the circuit you provided is how you think it would work???

You quote needing 2 states of operation.
1 from oil pressure and 1 from oil level but you only have an oil pressure sensor.
How do you intend sensing oil level??

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
There is two states of operation the oil level is already on the bike. Power is supplied to the oil light to the oil level switch which at a set level the switch grounds. All i did was tied in to the wire that goes to the level switch. I dont understand the circuit but it works. I built it on my bread board and it worked. I have assembled on a pc board but it did not work last night. Will trouble shoot tonight

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You show the switch as oil pressure.
Oil pressure cannot show level.

Well, unless you run out of oil, then it will be assumed the level is low as the switch will activate on loss of pressure. ;)

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
You show the switch as oil pressure.
Yes this is the added circuit for oil pressure. The oil pump in this engine is driven by a chain that why I wanted some type of indication.

Oil pressure cannot show level.
The circuit I updated is the circuit for oil pressure.
The oil level circuit is OEM. I only tied into the circuit to use the oil light because I did not want to modify the instrument cluster. I tied this circuit into the wire going to the oil level switch.

Well, unless you run out of oil, then it will be assumed the level is low as the switch will activate on loss of pressure.
Which by then it is to late for the engine. But this is correct. I can have a oil level with no oil pressure but I cannot have oil pressure with no oil level.

The circuit did work, I connected it to the bike and when key is turned on a steady oil light will come on for 3 seconds then the oil light will pulse because the engine Is not running. Light will go off when oil pressure is established.

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
What is missing? I come to this site to try to learn and get ideas and help when ever I can.