Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12 volt fan timer

gipsygman

Feb 13, 2011
I have a 12v. fan in my camper that keeps killing the battery. The problem is that I have fallen asleep with it on and it goes all night. I am looking to pay someone to build me a timer that would work in 30 min intervals. the control-display would be mounted on a single gang blank electrical cover. There would be a small momentary push button and a digital display. By clicking on the button, you could go from 30mins - 60 - 90 - OFF. The circuit board could be placed inside the box and a terminal strip added to the back w/ 12 v in & 12 v out terminals. If you can design and make it, I can mount it on the cover, modify the box and wire it.
The only thing that I can find commercially is a wind-up type and they are very loud(like a time bomb in the movies). The timer would be 2-3 ft from my head.
Please let me know if you are interested and we can talk off board.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
maybe something like tis would suit your needs
dunno what country you are in mabe something like it is available there :)

Dave

gipsygman

Feb 13, 2011
Dave, I am in the US and new to this forum. Is there any attachment somewhere that I am missing or did you forget to add it?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thanks Dave, but it's not 12 volt... even Home Depot had many options for 120 volt. I saw this one, on the site you sent me to, but it's too advanced and expensive. I'm trying to keep it simple. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0361&keywords=timer&form=KEYWORD

I use many many of those ones at work a very nice 12V timer

you want simple but your requirements call for complex.
just the addition of a digital clock makes it complex, let alone the multiple
event timings, you need to find a middle ground ;)

Dave

gipsygman

Feb 13, 2011
you misunderstand Dave, I don't want the clock or multiple event settings, but that was all that website had in 12 volt... that's why I am going to keep looking for a simple solution

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you misunderstand Dave, I don't want the clock or multiple event settings, but that was all that website had in 12 volt... that's why I am going to keep looking for a simple solution

ok no probs.... you said you wanted a digital display in the first post, I read that as clock
why else would you want a digital display ? :)
if all you wanted was to see which countdown time was selected that could prob be done with just 3 LED's and appropriate circuitry .... still adds possibly unneeded compexity

its been a few yrs since my last trip to the USA, cant remember what radio shack has

did a bit of google searching... not much in the way of very long timer ccts
here is one out to 30 mins, playing with the resistor and cap value you may get it out to 60 mins or so from its current 30 min max....

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Timing/5_30timer.htm
cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 5_30timer.gif
    5_30timer.gif
    19 KB · Views: 677
Last edited: