Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12 volt led driver on pir timer powered via trailing edge dimmer switch

Vmaxdave

Dec 16, 2019
Hi I have a 230 volt timed pir motion sensor supplying a 230volt trailing edge dimmer switch supplying a dimmable 230 volt to 12 volt led driver with 3 led lights drawing about 4.5watts my problem is that the dimmer will not dim the lights.
if i place the dimmer before the pir motion detector the output relay fails to latch on and and cycles on off, is this because of a lack of load although the unit specs suggest the setup should work.
any suggestions are welcome tia

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Dimmer will have to be , as you rightly showed to begin with, after the pir relay.
Thing is, there are many different pir devices.
Some are 2 wire which I doubt will work.
Whereas others are output relay driven which should be fine.
Assuming here that the dimmer is suitable for LED's and also working as it should.
Note that in some LED dimmers, they will not restart the LED from a low setting.

When supplying info, best to include as much detail as you can so many do not have to guess one way or the other.

Vmaxdave

Dec 16, 2019
Thanks BlueJet..the dimmer is an intelligent varalight with switchable leading/trailing edge mode ,the pir unit has both live and neutral in and the output is on relay out 230v live and neutral.the led driver is a leading edge triac type 230v to 12v dimmable unit with just 3 led lamps the loads are all well within spec .

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
So will the dimmer operate the light correctly without the pir unit...?

Vmaxdave

Dec 16, 2019
So will the dimmer operate the light correctly without the pir unit...?
No theres no difference however i have just found a circuit diagram with the dimmer switching the neutral and i am switching the live so i guess theres an option to try out...

Vmaxdave

Dec 16, 2019
No theres no difference however i have just found a circuit diagram with the dimmer switching the neutral and i am switching the live so i guess theres an option to try out...
I have also swapped out the dimmer switch to check against another one and no change there,Just wired the dimmer switching the neutral but no difference just switches on or off, i have ordered some resistors to add a bit more load to the circuit later on .