Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12 volt project help needed!

letsg0fishin

May 25, 2014
I am wanting to build a 12 volt automated chicken coop door. I am planning to use a photo cell to activate the door, what I need help with is a circuit that will turn the motor one way while the photo cell is receiving light and reverse polarity when it isn't. I am going to put limit switches at the top and bottom to stop over travel, but the photocell switch (or relay?) has me stumped.

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
Check out Arduino Instructables Mobile Chicken Coop etc.

This may help !

Sorry I can't figure out how to send you the link !

letsg0fishin

May 25, 2014
That seems to be WAY more complex than what I'm thinking... Maybe I will try another route. A timer would probably be equally qood.

Thanks, though!

davpankhur

Jun 5, 2014
bit late... but a photocell relay module would work good.
It has a photosensitive end to detect light, a dial to fine tune your light requirements and a 1 channel relay.

The relay has 3 contacts, so like like a toggle. when a certain amount of light is detected, the relay switches to one pair of contacts, when there is no light or the relay switch module is not powered, it switches to the default. thus you just have to wire the motor to spin both ways and it should work well with limiter switches.

let me know how you go.

davpankhur

Jun 5, 2014
not sure if we can post links here, but just google: 12v photosensitive relay - ebay should pop up