Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v DC Doorbell Chime

new11

May 5, 2021
Hey guys,
I hope everyone is doing well!

I've been scratching my head with this for a while now and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas.

Very simply, I'm trying to make a 12v DC doorbell chime for my dads shed, that activates on a momentary button press, running over Cat5e cable. I am aware that Cat5e isn't doorbell wire. However, it was existing.

It's running over a distance of about 45m (50 yards), on the door end is a simple momentary button (with a LED) & one the chime end, experimenting with either a piezo buzzer or solenoid chime. (Which ever works haha) I do have a couple spare 12v DC Delay Relay switches laying around if required.

As a last resort, would anyone have any advice on how to create a DIY PoE bell chime? I've looked everywhere on the web, but cant find any guides.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback.
P.s apologies if there's anything obvious, I'm quite new to all this.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
So have you done a search for a 12Vdc (why 12Vdc?) chime or buzzer?

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi :)
I once used a pair of dynamo telephones to do a similar job and more. Twirling the dynamo generated an AC voltage which not only rang the distant bell, but also powered a few minutes speech, so that no batteries were needed. I just put a simple 4 diode full-wave rectifier and a 100V capacitor (was it a couple of thousand microfarad?) in each telephone.
Probably works over about 10km or more, and cat5 should be ideal..

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Use a wireless doorbell. We have one with a receiver that plugs into an outlet. Very long range.

new11

May 5, 2021
So have you done a search for a 12Vdc (why 12Vdc?) chime or buzzer?

You know, I had spend the past six months trying to search for something that wasn't over $100 and I could never find anything.
I again tried searching for a 12v DC Piezo. However, I changed my location from Australia to United States, & guess what, came up straight away on google US, very first result!!
I guess Aus is a very small market compared to the US. We never really have too many components. :/

In any case, I found a 12v DC Piezo Chime, from Radio Shack US, https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-80db-chime
If I was to purchase this online, do you think that might work?

new11

May 5, 2021
Use a wireless doorbell. We have one with a receiver that plugs into an outlet. Very long range.

Yes, thats the easiest. However, we live in a high density area. Lots of steel, brikes, WiFi, fiber nodes everywhere in the street & mobile LTE towers about a two blocks from us.
The signal is very intermittent & never works in high winds. (we have high winds for about 50-60% of the year)

new11

May 5, 2021
Hi :)
I once used a pair of dynamo telephones to do a similar job and more. Twirling the dynamo generated an AC voltage which not only rang the distant bell, but also powered a few minutes speech, so that no batteries were needed. I just put a simple 4 diode full-wave rectifier and a 100V capacitor (was it a couple of thousand microfarad?) in each telephone.
Probably works over about 10km or more, and cat5 should be ideal..

Ohh this sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder if it might be able to be modified. Australia no longer has a copper or cable network. All our telephones run on VoIP over fibre.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
. Australia no longer has a copper or cable network.

Rubbish, it has an extensive cable network. My NBN is coming in on coaxial cable, the same cable as my old internet

new11

May 5, 2021
Rubbish, it has an extensive cable network. My NBN is coming in on coaxial cable, the same cable as my old internet

oh I probability might be confusing cable with the old Telstra copper network.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Nope...completely out of the loop.
NBN fibre to the node here....i.e. copper line to the house from a terminal over 1 klm away......many places the same and I doubt it'll ever change now.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
oh I probability might be confusing cable with the old Telstra copper network.

dunno about Telstra, I am with Optus.
been on their cable (coaxial) network for the last 14 yrs