Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12V/DC - Duracell battery bank?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can't charge and discharge at the same time. That's like driving a car in a forward and reverse gear at the same time.

Depending on the charging regime required, you may be able to have a charger connected whilst you use the batteries. But there is no separate pathways.

Also, you need to know how to charge them.

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
You can't charge and discharge at the same time. That's like driving a car in a forward and reverse gear at the same time.

Depending on the charging regime required, you may be able to have a charger connected whilst you use the batteries. But there is no separate pathways.

Also, you need to know how to charge them.

How cant I?... For example use the laptop and charge it at the same time?
Aren't I using the battery while its being charged?
What about some Solar Powered mechanics? The solar panal's are charging up Batteries and being used at the same time...

I believe it achievable...

I'll just make 4 terminals 2 for the input and 2 output how about that?

twister

Feb 12, 2012
What about some Solar Powered mechanics? The solar panal's are charging up Batteries and being used at the same time...

That would work.

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
That would work.

Batteries are like fuel tanks... You can fill um up and drawn them out at the same time... But instead of fuel were using electricity here :p and they die after a certain time. In my case if i charge it up and dont over-exceed it's requirement's It could last for a long long time I think.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Batteries are like fuel tanks... You can fill um up and drawn them out at the same time... But instead of fuel were using electricity here :p and they die after a certain time. In my case if i charge it up and dont over-exceed it's requirement's It could last for a long long time I think.

Make sure you know your battery. Each type has specific charging and discharging requirements to maximize life. Battery university has a lot of information. I suggest you at the very least, take a look.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Batteries are like fuel tanks... You can fill um up and drawn them out at the same time.

No you can't

you have 2 sources of power, the battery and the charger. You have a load.

If the load draws more than the charger can provide, power frolw from the charger to the load and the balance flows from the battery, discharging it.

If the load draws less than the charger can supply, the balance flows into the battery, charging it.

If the load is absent (PC tuned off) then all the power flows from the charger to the battery.

Current cannot flow both ways in a wire. Unlike a water tank, the same "pipe" carries charge in and out of the battery, and you can't have charge flowing both ways.

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
No you can't

you have 2 sources of power, the battery and the charger. You have a load.

If the load draws more than the charger can provide, power frolw from the charger to the load and the balance flows from the battery, discharging it.

If the load draws less than the charger can supply, the balance flows into the battery, charging it.

If the load is absent (PC tuned off) then all the power flows from the charger to the battery.

Current cannot flow both ways in a wire. Unlike a water tank, the same "pipe" carries charge in and out of the battery, and you can't have charge flowing both ways.

Im Charging the battery bank with 15Volts and The load will take less than the charging about 12 Volts. So from what I understood from you is that their's going to be a balance of charge flow and it could work right?

twister

Feb 12, 2012
I'm Charging the battery bank with 15Volts and The load will take less than the charging about 12 Volts. So from what I understood from you is that their's going to be a balance of charge flow and it could work right?

You can charge at 15v till the battery is full, but you don't want to leave it at that voltage. It would be bad for the battery and separate the hydrogen and oxygen and you could have a nice EXPLOSION! ha
I charge my batteries every day at 18v for a quick charge and then drop the voltage to 13.8 for a float charge. Some people say 14v and others say 14.5v but my cars have always been set at 13.8 so they probably know what's right.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Im Charging the battery bank with 15Volts and The load will take less than the charging about 12 Volts. So from what I understood from you is that their's going to be a balance of charge flow and it could work right?

You're confusing voltage and current.

If you're charging "at 15V" then you are using a high current. and the battery's internal resistance causes the terminal voltage to rise to 15V. That means the load sees 15V too (but how much current does it demand?)

Regardless of this, the answer is "probably"

Last edited:

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
You're confusing voltage and current.

If you're charging "at 15V" then you are using a high current. and the battery's internal resistance causes the terminal voltage to rise to 15V. That means the load sees 5V too (but how much current does it demand?)

Regardless of this, the answer is "probably"

As human begins the one thing that made us reach this far from all the technological developments is to testing and failing,then we understand the problem and succeed.

I'll buy the batteries and start working on them as soon as I can. If it works then thats all good if not... I'll study the reason and improve it.

But from a lot of people I spoke to... they told me the probability is high for it to work.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Note that both of those values should have been 15V (I went back and edited for the keystroke error).

Trial and error is fine, but it is also important to understand some basics so you don't make fundamental errors. It's all about standing on the shoulders of others.

But yeah, like I said, "probably".

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012

Typically in the case of laptops and such, when it is plugged in you are using the plug from the wall to power everything, it provides power for the laptop to run, and the power to charge the battery.

There is no way to charge and use a battery at the same time, that would be redundant and wasteful of power as all the battery would be doing is loading down the power flowing into the circuit.

In the case of low power things like solar the solar panel will charge the battery and run whatever is connected until the load circuit is drawing too much for it to handle and then it will use both the battery and the solar panel to run the device, drawing less from the battery and elongating its ability to provide power.

Last edited:

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
Okay, Im confused...

Is there anyway to charge a battery and use it at the same time? In anyway?! Keep in mind the energy being used from the battery is controlled so as the energy recharging it.

And if so... Does re-charging energy has to be more than the energy being consumed by the battery?

Im really confused because I have this technician who works in a battery company here over in the US. He stats the YES! batteries can be charged and discharged at the same time. He keeps telling that the batteries act like a fuel tank the has electricity in it!

So I need to get my facts straight!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Current is either flowing into the battery or out, it cannot be both at the same time. The charging current can be used to power a circuit and charge the battery at the same time though, assuming enough current is available.

Bob