Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v dc wireless dimmer to wall switch?

vinz

Feb 11, 2012
Hey,
very ignorant poster here, my apologies.

I bought a DC12v-24v wireless dimmer from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-...ighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item43aa9d2de5.

I would like to hook it up to a wall switch, so that I can control the room lighting remotely.
I am afraid that if I just replaced the wall switch with the wireless dimmer the latter would just blow.

Can you please advise how I can go about it?

Thank you.
vinz

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I am afraid that if I just replaced the wall switch with the wireless dimmer the latter would just blow.

Yep you are correct. without some serious circuit modifications this will absolutely not work. So please don't try it.

You have two issues,

1. you need DC current, so you will need to rectify the incoming voltage and use a step-down transformer to get the appropriate voltage.

2. Figure out a way to use the PWM output signal to control 0 - 120/240VAC @ 10 - 20A

edit: They do actually make things for this application. http://www.jascoproducts.com/z-wave/ At the very least it will be a lot cleaner solution

Last edited:

vinz

Feb 11, 2012
Hi jackorocko and thank you for your superquick reply.

I see that the whole thing is far more complicated that I thought.
I am not even sure I do understand my problem :)

Correct me if I am wrong. The wireless adapter uses DC, while the light switch takes in AC, so I need a rectifier.
Once I have rectified current from AC to DC, it would still be too intense, so I would need a step-down transformer to lower the amplitude from 120/240v to 12/24v.
This way my wireless dimmer would not blow if hooked up.

Even then, the output signal from the wireless dimmer would not control the current that goes to the light bulbs in my room, and I would need to figure out a way to do that.

If that is true, given my current knowledge (and the spare time that I have to study about it (I am not about to die, just very busy)) I will never ever find a way to do it.

I start to think that the wireless dimmer I bought will prove itself completely useless. Can I even use it for a lamp plugged to a wall socket??

Thank you for sharing that link. I think that is probably the most feasible solution.
I was up for a bit of learning and fiddling around, but what you describe sounds a bit out of reach at the moment. Might go for the commercial product when I have a few quid/dollars to spare..