Maker Pro
Maker Pro

15" monitor, replacing CCFL's

specialblend110

Jan 22, 2010
Hi,

I am attempting to replace the 2 CCFT bulbs in a G-Vision 15" TFT LCD monitor.
Trying to find the best way to disconnect the bulbs from the wires without ruining them.
Any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Alex

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I figured you changed them complete with the wires on, only splicing the wires near the plug if neccessary.
What's the reason it seems to require disconnection of the wires at the lamps?
If your new lamps came w/o wires then solder & shrink sleeve seems your only option.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I second that (getting ones with wires attached), although I am aware that you can get them either way.

I have a replacement CCFL for a laptop. I purchased the ones with wires already attached as I don't fancy soldering so close to a glass envelope.

Let me know how the CCFL replacement goes. I'm a little trepidatious (is that a word?) about the degree of disassembly the LCD requires -- I've heard you need to take parts of it apart that were never meant to come apart....

You may be able to manufacture a small socket to slip onto the end of the tube. I've opened up DB9 connectors (the ones with solder cups) and used them with shrink-wrap tubing over them. They make excellent connectors. If you have room available, and the wire on the end is similar in size to the pins of DB9 or DB15 connectors, it may be a safer alternative than soldering.

specialblend110

Jan 22, 2010
so far I can only find just the bulbs. I am wondering where the best place to get them is with the wires already attached. The bulb length is just barely over 12" .
Any tips would be great.

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Let me try to find out where I got mine from...

OK, I think I got hold of them via ebay, but enquired directly as they didn't have the specific laptop model listed.

sales at laptop lcd parts direct dot com is the email address -- without spaces and with the obvious substitutions.

This is what they offered:

> inverter $12
> raw ccfl lamp $8.99
> ccfl lamp with wire harness $18.99
>
> shipping and handing $9.99

I had to supply them with the exact make and model of the laptop and they were able to supply the appropriate bits. In my case, the wire harness includes the appropriate cable and connector to fit the laptop. Their method of packing was to insert the parts in what looks like PVC water pipe.

I have no connection with these people other than being a satisfied customer.

I can still see their ebay auctions listed, but their web site seems down at the moment.

wherever you've found at the moment it may simply be worth an email to them to see if they will attach the leads for you.