Maker Pro
Maker Pro

15 pin Sub-D power supply/control help

TylerR55

Feb 23, 2021
Hello,
I recently bought a pump that was taken off of an old chemistry instrument that was used to pump solvent. The pump hooked up to a computer using 15 pin- Sub-D cables. How can I hook this pump up to be controlled using a control knob, as well as power directly to a wall outlet?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Was it this pump or that pump?

Please re-read your question, and think - is there ***anything*** here that is needed to answer a question? Things like labels, power connections, a photo, the manufacturer, model number - - ***anything*** ?

ak

TylerR55

Feb 23, 2021
Thanks for your help. The pump is model C6132-9012 from Oriental Motor Co. (Vexta). It says DC 4V 1.2 A R07 01824. I've attached a picture of the pump.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 8

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Of the many things you left out of your question, the most important is that you have a ******stepper***** motor. This is not a simple DC motor. It requires specifically times pulses on its inputs, in a certain order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

You don't say what the pump was connected to inside the computer. It's important.

ak

TylerR55

Feb 23, 2021
I don't know what it was hooked up to in the computer since I didn't take it out of the computer.

[Mod Edited - removed bad response -- WARNING 1, dont do it again]

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You know, sometimes there is someone here who has worked with your exact device and can give you information on a way that seemingly reads your mind. More often, we need sufficient information to give someone a useful answer.

When we ask questions, there's almost always a reason for them, and often they are preliminary, with their answers spurring more questions. Also, if someone misses one of the questions, we may need to ask it again.

This isn't pompous, it's the exact opposite.

Some people fail to realise when they've been given information to allow them to solve the problem. For example, in this case, the motor has been identified as a stepper motor. Googling "variable speed control for stepper motor" might yield an answer. At this point we could give more information, or the original poster could say "thanks" and go off with the information they need to solve their problem.

Sometimes, a poster takes a third approach of getting shitty with us because they don't understand. If such a poster contacts the moderators and says "sorry that was a brain fart" then we can remove the offending posts and carry on as if nothing has happened. In other cases we might need to close the thread or even ban the poster.

We prefer the first approach as it keeps this place friendly and helpful.

Last edited: