Maker Pro
Maker Pro

15R Lamp Ballast. Worth trying to repair?

partyanimallighting

Oct 22, 2012
Hi wizards! I suffer from occasional lamp ballast failure in my moving heads carrying 189W Phillips Platinum 5R lamps and 330W 15R lamps. The normal problems are ballast failure and lamp failure (lamps are rated at 2000 Hrs for the 5R so this issue is rare). The ballasts are fed by a power supply feed outputting 390VDC to the ballast and the ballast outputs between 55 ~ 60VAC to the lamp. On startup there is normally a high voltage spike to strike the lamp. Here's the thing........does it make sense trying to troubleshoot these blown ballasts to repair them? I've been zapped once from one of these babies and it was not a nice experience. They're a bit pricey so if it's an easy fix that would be great! Any and all feedback would be appreciated. The image attached is of a non-functional 15R ballast.

2018-09-07 LAMP BALLAST 003.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
so if it's an easy fix that would be great!
.....o_O if they were an 'easy' fix you wouldn't be asking!

A schematic would obviously make it an 'easier' fix but there's not a long to go wrong - check the switching components (MOSFET's?) and the switching controller. If the switching devices are all OK then replace the controller chip. If the device still doesn't work then call it a day (unless you have a schematic).